It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Michael Vick: back on the mountaintop. $100 million...again!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:12 pm 
Director

Link

The Philadelphia Eagles and star quarterback Michael Vick have agreed on a six-year, $100 million contract with $40 million in guarantees, ESPN's Andrew Brandt and Adam Schefter are reporting. It's obviously the culmination of a remarkable comeback story for Vick, who was in prison on dogfighting charges three years ago, third on the Eagles' quarterback depth chart two years ago and a backup to Kevin Kolb at this time last year.

Many, including myself, have written extensively on Vick's shockingly rapid redemption story, and surely many more will in the next 24 to 48 hours. But my first thought was that this speaks loudly about the way the Eagles right now are managing their franchise: Everything they do revolves around and depends on Vick.

For example: the idea that this might affect the Eagles' efforts to sign star receiver DeSean Jackson to a long-term contract. Jackson is upset enough with his very low ($650,000) salary that he held out of the beginning of training camp, and he's made it clear he'd like a new deal before he becomes a free agent at the end of this season. So there was thought in some circles that the Eagles might have to do a Vick deal in order to free short-term money for Jackson. Vick's salary-cap number had been a little more than $16 million under the franchise tag, and the thought was that knocking that number way down would allow them to give Jackson a 2011 salary more in line with his status among the league's top wideouts.

But Brandt reports Vick's salary-cap number in 2011 drops only to $14.4 million under the terms of the new deal. So, while that likely leaves the Eagles about $4 million under the cap even with all the free-agent signings they made late last month, it's not a significant enough savings to indicate they're about to make a big-splash deal with Jackson.

More likely, this deal is about Vick and the Eagles' decision to hitch their wagon to his mercurial star in spite of his risky style of play and his proximity in time to his legal troubles. Everything the Eagles have done since the lockout ended indicates they are determined to take advantage of Vick's window, however long it stays open.

The Eagles don't -- and can't -- know how long Vick will last or continue to perform at the level that he did last season. What they do know is that, when he does, they have a weapon for which other teams have no answer. And because of that -- because of what Vick is at his very best -- the Eagles have decided he's worth building around and, apparently, investing in. The Eagles have been consistently excellent winners under Andy Reid, but they've yet to win a Super Bowl with him as coach, a fact of which he and his staff are keenly aware. By latching onto Vick to the extent that they have, they've announced their belief that he's the thing that can set them apart from the pack far enough to finally make it happen.

Time will tell whether they're right, but when Kolb got injured in Week 1 last season and Vick took over for him, Reid found a lottery ticket. And he's going to do everything he can do to make sure he gets to cash it.
----------------------------

Full circle.

Yep.

I could say it, but this says it SOOO much better...

Simple Truth #133:

Want to fully maximize your iPod? Listen to your ENTIRE LIBRARY on random at all times for a week or so. Thank me later.

Kicking a$$, taking names, and burning the list...

Post subject: Re: Michael Vick: back on the mountaintop. $100 million...again!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:33 pm 
Head Drum Major

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:18 pm 
Living Legend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDOYN-6gdRE

Everybody believes *something* about God. That's all theology is. The question is...is what you believe about God TRUE?
BLU PHI!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:38 pm 
Director

They are REALLY mad. And that $100 Million dollar contract was one of the biggest "F__k You's" in recent sports memory. I listen to a lot of talk radio and guys like Colin Cowherd and and even guys on TV like the idiotic skip Bayless and I remember before Vick got out these sames guys were saying that VIck wasnt gonna ever be a starter again and blah blah blah and I just laugh now because not only is he starting but a Top 5 players and may even be the most dangerous player in the league (he is in my eyes).

I'm just glad that this guy is back on top. I didnt agree whit what he did but we've all seen alot worse. Congrats Vick, ur back buddy!

#GoMagic
#GoGators
#GoRays

Twitter: @Stevo_Supremo
IG: @sholmesjr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:29 pm 

Honestly, the man bought a house for his family and they ran the thing. He knew it was going on and didn't stop it, but he wasn't the mastermind the media has made him out to be. Does he deserve this much money? No. He's too inconsistant in my eyes. Plus, no rings says alot to me. Is he dangerous? Heyel yes! Is he a great player to have? Heyel yes. Is he worth $100 in 6 years? Heyel no, especially at his age...

Georgia Southern University c/o 2009 Southern Pride Fall 04-07

H. V. Jenkins c/o 2004 Marching Warrior Fall 00-Spring 04

Former : tdoggoblhvj04

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:31 pm 
Rank Sargeant

Im glad the man got his money. I never thought the crime fit the punishment to begin with.

That said, hes not worth all that money. Not in Atlanta and not in Philthy. His play fell off big time at the end of the year. He came back to earth after the Bucks put out the blue print to beat him. With the offensive line he has now, he will fall time and time again this year. Hope he makes it out alive.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:35 pm 
Director

Llevron wrote:
That said, hes not worth all that money. Not in Atlanta and not in Philthy. His play fell off big time at the end of the year. He came back to earth after the Bucks put out the blue print to beat him. With the offensive line he has now, he will fall time and time again this year. Hope he makes it out alive.

Sounds like a Cowboy fan to me...

Simple Truth #133:

Want to fully maximize your iPod? Listen to your ENTIRE LIBRARY on random at all times for a week or so. Thank me later.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:29 pm 
Head Drum Major

He's bout to fill the dome once again Sunday. This should be interesting. I'm wondering how creative the Vick-hater signs will be this time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:24 pm 

Soooooooo, good investment? :hah: Philly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm 
Rank Sargeant

Hurricane Mir wrote:
Llevron wrote:

Sounds like a Cowboy fan to me...

Naw. Skins fan and realist all the way.

I knew before the pre-season started he would never make it a full season. He didnt. Only this time it was because he was in the pocket. How crazy is that?

He will be back, I just hope its after we play yall Lol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:23 am 
Director

Three weeks.

Three weeks into the season, and people are claiming Vick dead in the water.

For shame.

Simple Truth #133:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:05 pm 
Assistant Section Leader

I don't think that it is Vick that ppl are saying is dead; I think he's just a victim to a deplorable blocking scheme. Until that problem is resolved he will continue to be on the "questionable/probable" list week-in and week-out!

If he continues to get hit like that though, he will be on the "done" list as well!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:50 am 
Rank Sargeant

Major 7th wrote:
I don't think that it is Vick that ppl are saying is dead; I think he's just a victim to a deplorable blocking scheme. Until that problem is resolved he will continue to be on the "questionable/probable" list week-in and week-out!

If he continues to get hit like that though, he will be on the "done" list as well!

This is exactly it. I think they are trying to put in a zone blocking scheme. That's what it looks like at least. It will be great for the running game. Not so good for Vick.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:37 am 

now that we're almost halfway through, Has the money been worth it?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:26 pm 
Director

The day Philly ink'd Vick to that $100mil deal was the day that it was worth it. You do realize that Micheal Vick is the most popular player in the NFL, right? Whether they win a championship or not. It was worth it...

Now I will say this though, so far the team hs not lived up to its expectation but that's to be expected with so many new parts.That said you see what they did to Dallas last night. I think the engine is just starting to crank up. But when it comes to Micheal Vick that guy leaves it on the field every week. So he's definitely earning his paycheck. And add to the fact that he hasnt sustained any MAJOR injuries and missed any serious time, Philly's front office should be satisfied with his production to date because the way he plays it could (and probably should) be much worse.

#GoMagic
#GoGators
#GoRays

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:59 pm 

not anymore. Vick isn't on ESPN. Ticket/jersey/other merch sales are dropping. :wave: Vick. The Eagles have GOT to draft or sign a new QB to maintain profit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:14 am 

The Eagles need a coach because Andy Reid is a moron. The man has talent but can never get the job done. Living in PA all I get to see is Philly games. I hated those clowns until Vick came to town. I find myself rooting for them just because everyone else wanted Mike to fail. Even if they lose and Mike throws for 300 yards I'm happy.

I've seen enough of Eagles games to know it's the coach now. They have had plenty of chances. Someone call Tony Dungy and give him 2 years. He'll take them to the promised land.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 pm 
Director

jenkins-abd wrote:
not anymore. Vick isn't on ESPN. Ticket/jersey/other merch sales are dropping. :wave: Vick. The Eagles have GOT to draft or sign a new QB to maintain profit.

Draft a new QB to maintain profit????

Are you high?!

What other QB can you possibly draft that is more polaraizing than Micheal Vick (not named Tim Tebow). Vick puts butts in seats, there aint a rookie QB that can duplicate what he can to a business model. Now had you said they needed to draft a QB to prepare for the furture maybe you have a valid point. But profit??? :lol: They not bad enough to get Andrew Luck. So what, they're gonna hope Brandon Weeden or RG3 has the same financial success Vick does? Get outta here man...

I bet the Philly Franchise made half of that $100 Mil back just this year.

#GoMagic
#GoGators
#GoRays

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:21 pm 

impactology08 wrote:
jenkins-abd wrote:

Draft a new QB to maintain profit????

Are you high?!

What other QB can you possibly draft that is more polaraizing than Micheal Vick (not named Tim Tebow). Vick puts butts in seats, there aint a rookie QB that can duplicate what he can to a business model. Now had you said they needed to draft a QB to prepare for the furture maybe you have a valid point. But profit??? :lol: They not bad enough to get Andrew Luck. So what, they're gonna hope Brandon Weeden or RG3 has the same financial success Vick does? Get outta here man...

I bet the Philly Franchise made half of that $100 Mil back just this year.

Actually, RG3 wouldn't be a bad idea. He could learn (very little, but still) under Vick for a few games. As soon as the franchise has had enough losing, plug in the heisman winner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:16 pm 
Director

Cut that out.

1) Vick was probably the 4th or 5th reason why the Eagles finished 8-8:
a) Terrible first half of the season coaching
b) Defense stunk for 12 games (turned it on for the last 4, but it was too late by then)
c) No running of the ball enough
d) Vick's injuries knocking him out - and keeping him out - of games

2) RG3 - even IF he comes out - will in no way shape or form fall that far. If Miami doesn't draft him, he's goin to DC.

3) Vick STILL led the league in QB rushing and finished Top 15 in QB play....we get a decent Defensive coordinator and some WRs who don't fumble when the game's on the line, we'll be fine.

4) Eagles were 7-3 in games where Vick played start to finish....1-5 in games where either he didn't finish to injury or didn't play at all. What does THAT tell you about his importance? And they STILL only missed the playoffs by a 1/2 game.

They'll be fine.

Simple Truth #133: