It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HBCU Football Week 9
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:22 pm 
Director

I took a little break from weekly football post but i found a little time to get back to it not that we're heading into the last 4 or 5 weeks of the regular season.

Sheridan HBCU Poll

1. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats (30) 8-1
2. Winston-Salem State Rams 8-1
3. Jackson State Tigers 7-2
4. South Carolina State Bulldogs 6-3
5. Alabama State Hornets 6-3
6. Tennessee State Tigers 7-3
7. Tuskegee Golden Tigers 8-1
8. Virginia State Trojans 8-1
9. Prairie View A&M Panthers 5-4
10. Alcorn State Braves 7-3

#GoMagic
#GoGators
#GoRays

Twitter: @Stevo_Supremo
IG: @sholmesjr

Post subject: Re: HBCU Football Week 9
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:26 pm 
Director

FCS Poll

1. North Dakota State Bison (159) 8-0
2. Eastern Illinois Panthers 8-1
3. Eastern Washington Eagles 7-2
4. Montana State Bobcats 7-2
5. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers 9-0
6. Sam Houston State Bearkats 7-2
7. Fordham Rams 9-0
8. Maine Black Bears 8-1
9. Youngstown State Penguins 8-1
10. Montana Grizzlies 7-2
11. McNeese State Cowboys 7-2
12. Bethune-Cookman Wildcats 8-1
13. Towson Tigers 8-2
14. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks 7-2
15. Delaware Blue Hens 7-2
16. Southeastern Louisiana Lions 7-2
17. Wofford Terriers 5-3
18. Charleston Southern Buccaneers 9-1
19. South Dakota State Jackrabbits 5-4
20. Samford Bulldogs 6-3
21. Lehigh Mountain Hawks 6-2
22. James Madison Dukes 6-3
23. William & Mary Tribe 6-3
24. Chattanooga Moc 7-2
25. New Hampshire Wildcats 4-4

#GoMagic
#GoGators
#GoRays

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:48 pm 
Director

Bethune is having an historic year on several fronts. They are in the midst of a completing back to back undefeated MEAC seasons. I dont think that's been done before in BCU history. I'd also like to see what the winning streak is for MEAC games because I think're up to 18 straight MEAC wins dating back to Oct 2011 when we last lost to A&T. Since then BCU has been the class of the MEAC by dominating their conference foes. They only need to win 2 of their next 3 conference games to lock up their second MEAC title.

In FCS play they are only giving up 10.0 points a game defensively. The offense isnt as potent as past years but it's still pretty efficient. Almost half of their touchdown drives lasted 3 minutes or less and 11 of them lasted two minutes or less.

It's a special year and I hop that maybe this can be the year we final break out of the first round of the playoffs. We got beat at the line of scrimmage last year against Costal Carolina. We lost 21-7 but it was 14-0 for most of the game. They shut us down offensively and beat us up on the line of scrimmage. Hopefully we've improved in that area. It appears we've gotten better but you never really know until playoff time how good a team in the FCS is.

I'm just really excited about this team and and the future of this program. I just hope we can finish the season off strong and get out of the 1st round this year. It would be HUGE for little ol' BCU.

#GoMagic
#GoGators
#GoRays

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:19 am 
Band-a-holic

I believe the record for most consecutive MEAC wins is 22 and that was set by SCSU and coincidentally BCU was the team to break their streak in 2011.

I think BCU has a fighting chance to make it out of the first round but they have to tighten up the loose ends on special teams and the secondary has to limit the long ball. The penalties has not been a huge problem this year but in the last game the refs weren't cutting them any slack so that needs to be revisited as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:34 pm 
Director

22, ey?

Well that seems like it has a good shot at being not just broken but surpassed by a couple games. IF they win out the rest of this season, we'll go into next season needing one MEAC win to tie. So it would happen depending on the scheduling. This team is stacked again for next season too! Cary White the transfer from FAU is just as good as Isidore Jackson and is more of a traditional RB. Jackson is one of those shifty, yet strong RB's.

Special teams has ALWAYS been the achilles heel of our teams. We never have good kickers and our special teams coverage is spotty at best. We're a team that cant afford to have drives stallin our own territory because chances are the punters aren't good enough to change field position. THAT's where this team can get significantly better.

I do agree that we need to utilize the deep ball more, but when you can run the ball like we can WITHOUT have a serious threat to throw that says a lot. When teams scout against us the first thing is to stop the run, but tams haven't been able to do it. Cookman has two or three RB's that can really bust it open. So I do think we need to throw it more, but I wouldn't necessarily say we HAVE to throw it more.

#GoMagic
#GoGators
#GoRays

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:59 pm 
Band-a-holic

impactology08 wrote:
22, ey?

Well that seems like it has a good shot at being not just broken but surpassed by a couple games. IF they win out the rest of this season, we'll go into next season needing one MEAC win to tie. So it would happen depending on the scheduling. This team is stacked again for next season too! Cary White the transfer from FAU is just as good as Isidore Jackson and is more of a traditional RB. Jackson is one of those shifty, yet strong RB's.

Special teams has ALWAYS been the achilles heel of our teams. We never have good kickers and our special teams coverage is spotty at best. We're a team that cant afford to have drives stallin our own territory because chances are the punters aren't good enough to change field position. THAT's where this team can get significantly better.

I do agree that we need to utilize the deep ball more, but when you can run the ball like we can WITHOUT have a serious threat to throw that says a lot. When teams scout against us the first thing is to stop the run, but tams haven't been able to do it. Cookman has two or three RB's that can really bust it open. So I do think we need to throw it more, but I wouldn't necessarily say we HAVE to throw it more.

Agree, agree, agree... I was saying that our secondary tends to give up an occasional deep ball or 2 but the solid play of our front 7 has really covered our butts this year. Honestly, we are at the top of the league in interceptions not because of their play but because of the play of our front 7.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:04 pm 
Director

Oh right! I read that too fast, lol.

The seondary has been vulnerable at times, yes. But those linebackers and that d-line have been playing like MEN this year.

#GoMagic
#GoGators
#GoRays

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:22 am 
Band-a-holic

And here it is:

http://www.news-journalonline.com/artic ... -officials

Based off of this the team is at the bottom of the league in penalty yards.