It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Is The 5th STILL The 5th???
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:03 pm 
Band-a-holic

How times have changed. I've been a sporadic member of the 5th for some time and I've had my occasional dust ups with members who were members of other bands. It seems like interest in HBCU bands has waned and seemingly participation in this site in particular is waning! What up with this???

Post subject: Re: Is The 5th STILL The 5th???
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:59 am 

Since the demise of the Marching 100, FAMU posters have nothing to talk, brag or boast about. They were probably the majority of the posters on this board. Blame FAMU posters for the near extinction of this board. So sad. :wave:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:00 am 
Assistant Director

I blame the demise of good halftime shows like jSU at the SHC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQSTDOlsmqQ ........when noone has a halftime show worth talking about.....people stop talking

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:56 am 
Arranger

I blame other social media sites like Facebook, Twitter etc. When The 5th first came out no one really knew who the posters really were or what others looked like. All we knew was screen names and what schools they represented for the most part. When Facebook got big and we became more personal with one another the debates declined and so did posting on this site.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:45 am 
Band Fan

I always felt that summer break the 5th did a few years ago changed the 5th.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:30 pm 

1. Most band heads give their opinions and trash talk through Facebook private groups.

2. People got tired of all the personal attacks on the 5th.

3. The summer hiatus killed what little interest was left for most and caused a mass exodus to Facebook.

...Carry On..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:09 pm 
Head Arranger

Last edited by WildcatJay on Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:33 am 
Head Drum Major

There’s rivalry and trash talk … then there’s nonsense. I think the latter has taken over the discourse in the HBCU band community in recent years. (It’s even present in this thread). The constant silliness, hatred, and obsession with the nemesis band(s) is exhausting. For the most part, I think people grow tired of that. I used to think I felt this way because I was getting older… but some of the culprits are ten years my senior so... lol.

Honestly, I am an advocate for ALL HBCUs and a genuine fan of Black College band. So, I have a very low tolerance for the unnecessary bashing and back-n-forths. Many of the discussion boards of old became a breeding ground for it. I think this greatly contributed to the mass exodus from social communities like this.

That point aside... The most plausible theory is that the "message board" platform itself is completely outmoded and has been replaced in the social media age. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just another product of the way we communicate and interact today.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:47 am 
Living Legend

:sad:

Last edited by pbsstep1914 on Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:13 pm 
Band Fan

The new generation shows no interest in messages boards for marching bands. Most are posting on social media sites. The older members that talked the most smack are doing other things in life now. Also, FAMU members primarily swarmed this site. I don't really see them around here since I came back around to the site.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:13 pm 
Band Fan

double post.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:48 pm 

Really, the 5th is NO LONGER the 5th as a direct result of the demise of FAMU and the departure of many of the Marching 100 bandheads that were members on this site. C'mon guys, look at the bands that are NOW being discussed on this site. A couple of years ago, some of these bands being posted would never have been mentioned in the same breath as many of the more historical and established HBCU bands.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:20 am 
Arranger

I think it really does a disservice to what the5thquarter.com has been over the years to say it was kept relevant due to a collection of Marching 100 band heads and "others."

The perceived downfall of this message board can't just be the result of FAMUans not posting ... because the reverse would be to say that FAMUans were the only thing that made this message board, which no one would ever say.

I think it is more a function of the generation of regular posters to this board growing older and into different things, and the newer groups coming up using different platforms for their band debates.

The message board wasn't dead last year and if this were FAMU dependent, the Hundred is even more Hundred this year than it was last year so ... I think that argument is kinda dead in the water.

It's an easy argument to make, but its a surface argument.

"We play the fight songs and the marches. The marches are important, because we are first and foremost a marching band"
-Lawrence Jackson, former Southern University Director of Bands

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:43 pm 
Rank Sargeant

Geez we get blamed for everything..... :roll:

The biggest part is that there are a lot more platforms that people can talk on now. Like all of the Facebook groups you can go into and relatively talk untamed. I don't post nearly as much as I use to but do visit the site and read up on things. That 2012 year really did me in and parts of 2013. I just got tired of all of the FAMU post (the negative ones). Heck we had a whole sub forum dedicated to it smh.

Above all this site deserves much more respect than saying "since all of the FAMU people left...." It's much more to it than that.

Formally known as "DaPicc Playa"
FAMU Today, FAMU Tommorow, FAMU FOREVER....STRIKE ON RATTLERS
Florida A&M University Marching 100 Fall 2000
Delta Iota,, Chapter of Kappa Kappa Psi Spr. 2002 #3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:37 pm 

The irony of this particular post is the fact that only more than two years ago, this site was populated with bandheads with strong opinions about showmanship and musicality about their particular band or the performance of another's. Just notice the present topics and the lack of responses from participants. Whether we want to admit it or not, lack of participation of members from more traditional and popular bands has influenced this site!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:02 pm 
Assistant Director

You guys bring up good points.

Honestly, I don't see posts on here being made on Facebook groups such as The Real HBCU Uncut and the other HBCU uncut group.

In those groups the topics discussed are 100x more vicious and to be frank, usually get waaayyyy out of hand! Those folk would prefer to post about band in those groups v this website. They can be as ratchet and disrespectful as they want!

I can't see that on this site.

There have been heated and a lot of smack thrown around here, but nothing like those FB groups.

Also, current bandmembers may not know about this site due to the popularity of the other sites.

Phi Mu Alpha
Spr. 2K7 The S.D.S.O.S.
#4 Terminator
SLIBFS!!!

Kappa Kappa Psi
Spr. 2K10 AKTion SquAd
#4 G.I. Joe
AEA!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:59 am 
Drum Major

Interesting that I see this post... this is only the second time I've logged on the 5th all year. I used to log in everyday during marching season. Ultimately, social media has killed interest in message boards. Simple as that. Social media banter happens faster and is more intense (disrespectful if you ask me), so in a sense it is more thrilling.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:27 am 
Drum Major

mrknowitall wrote:
I blame other social media sites like Facebook, Twitter etc. When The 5th first came out no one really knew who the posters really were or what others looked like. All we knew was screen names and what schools they represented for the most part. When Facebook got big and we became more personal with one another the debates declined and so did posting on this site.

That's pretty much it for me. I can log into Facebook, go into my groups and view and discuss bands, sports, politics, spirituality, naked women, etc.

Aristocrat (n): anything regarded as the best, most elegant, or most stylish of its kind...

Commonly known fact - You can't spell "Aristocrat" without the "RAT"...

Your band is a non-mutha f%^&*n factor b@#$h!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:34 am 
Band Fan

To be honest The 5th quarter needs new development and rebranding. If social media is the thing why the heck haven't they atleast created a 5thquarter group on Facebook. They can always throw traffic back to this site and still attract new members. Also, no 5th quarter youtube page..no videos...no real branding. This is the first site to do anything like this and they aren't capitalizing on the most trusted name in HBCU band talk....Hire me...I'll get it together!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:35 am 
Band Fan

To be honest The 5th quarter needs new development and rebranding. If social media is the thing why the heck haven't they atleast created a 5thquarter group on Facebook. They can always throw traffic back to this site and still attract new members. Also, no 5th quarter youtube page..no videos...no real branding. This is the first site to do anything like this and they aren't capitalizing on the most trusted name in HBCU band talk....Hire me...I'll get it together!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:01 pm 
Living Legend

I think it had to do with shift in the times.

Social media, facebook groups without all of the rules, and quite frankly a lot easier. I know the Real Uncut Groups seem to be very successful in terms of turnout.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:10 am 

The irony of this post is that on this one page alone, there are more replies than any other post about a band. This topic has nothing to do with a marching band, which by the way indicates that band discussions on this particular site has declined drastically. In the past, THIS was the site to be on weeks leading to a big battle, during the game, and subsequently, immediately after a big game to talk smack.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:15 am 
Band-a-holic

The 5th isn't the 5th anymore because no body likes to CRANK anymore.

If I wanted to listen to an orchestra, I'd go listen to an orchestra. I came to witness IGNORANCE and CARNAGE.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:46 pm 
Drum Major

The 5th is STILL the 5th for sure.

Think about it, The Ranks/The 5th started almost 20 years ago. I had my first 5th Quarter NLBH in 1999. Some of these kids had not been born LOL.

By the way, THE VOICE is turning 50 in August. This means I met many of the old school band directors we talk about like Ronald Sargent when they were younger than I am now. BLEEP I'm old.

Another factor that impacted old posters was the Age of the Troll/E-thug. You cannot reason with them. They have lots of time and nothing to do but disrespect others.

Hodge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:09 pm 
Band-a-holic

The Voice wrote:
The 5th is STILL the 5th for sure.

Think about it, The Ranks/The 5th started almost 20 years ago. I had my first 5th Quarter NLBH in 1999. Some of these kids had not been born LOL.

By the way, THE VOICE is turning 50 in August. This means I met many of the old school band directors we talk about like Ronald Sargent when they were younger than I am now. BLEEP I'm old.

Another factor that impacted old posters was the Age of the Troll/E-thug. You cannot reason with them. They have lots of time and nothing to do but disrespect others.

I agree with you...The 5th is still the 5th. People cycle on and cycle off but that doesn't change what the 5th is...the best place for pure HBCU Bandheads to go to get their Marching Band fix.

Sure there's a lot of trash talking but overall most of the comments are thoughtful and insightful. I use Facebook (for alumni & grandkids stuff) and Twitter (for business) but the 5th is the only place I can get pure HBCU band stuff. During marching season, there's not a week that I don't check into the 5th to see the comments and links.

Now if there was a way to find and post new band video during the summer to watch and critique, the 5th would be outstanding!