It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Celebration Bowl???
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:30 am 
Band-a-holic

Did anyone attend/have information on how Grambling or NCCU bands performed at the Celebration Bowl?

Post subject: Re: Celebration Bowl???
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:29 am 
Band-a-holic

****Crickets**** I'm surprised there's just no conversation about either bands at the Celebration Bowl. I saw NCCU's band during the season and it was small. In fact they almost had more dancers and trumpet players. I'd love to hear what people that attended the game thought. Anyone out there stay for halftime?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:00 am 
Band-a-holic

I didn't attend BUT I did watch the game and to me (MY OPINION) Grambling's show was good BUT it lacked more intensity & the crowd (particularly their crowd) did NOT really get behind them & push it. Sound & Song Selection was decent, Drills & Pattern was OK (Lines were a little off, DM's were off - 1 DM on the 20 yd. line & the other was on the 10 yd. line, Big Bass Drum was a tad too fast w/tempo)

2nd, I'm NOT and have NEVER been a fan of the band dancing during the Dance Team Feature, it TAKES AWAY the attention from their feature & then doing another dance routine behind it doesn't really work. But overall, it was a decent show but NOT their best one.

As for NCCU, I absolutely HATE the running onto the field and getting in formation (OLD SCHOOL in Me) but inspite of this, their show was pretty clean & good as well, strong opening (making the State) drill & pattern were very good & transitions were very good, the Aux. Squad was very good w/the flags, streamers and etc., the Dancers Feature was good, their dance routine was very good & the crowd was really into their show. For their Size & having gone thru various trials at the Director of Bands post they are good.

Overall, both bands were Very Good BUT I'd have to give NCCU the edge as far as Entertainment, Crowd Approval, and Cleanliness & Execution of their Show.

This is just MY OPINION & VIEWPOINT.... NO Smack or Disrespect Intended!!!!

MBC Marching Wolverines
Purple Haze DM - 90'
PHI MU ALPHA Sinfonia
Kappa Beta - Spring 94' #3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:16 pm 
Living Legend

I don't think I will ever have luck with the current set up for that celebration bowl. There will probably never be a band that I would ever want to see enough to spend over $50 for a ticket. I appreciated North Carolina Central when I was in Charlotte at the beginning of the season. I appreciate the influence that golden delight has had on Central's auxiliary. I appreciate the improvement in Grambling. But my boy who went says it felt like 10 people were there and the bands weren't strong enough to make up for it feeling like a lame event. I swear I miss FAMU vs TSU in Atlanta. A shame how some classic match ups can go for generations and others fizzle.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:36 pm 
Band-a-holic

pbsstep1914 wrote:
I don't think I will ever have luck with the current set up for that celebration bowl. There will probably never be a band that I would ever want to see enough to spend over $50 for a ticket. I appreciated North Carolina Central when I was in Charlotte at the beginning of the season. I appreciate the influence that golden delight has had on Central's auxiliary. I appreciate the improvement in Grambling. But my boy who went says it felt like 10 people were there and the bands weren't strong enough to make up for it feeling like a lame event. I swear I miss FAMU vs TSU in Atlanta. A shame how some classic match ups can go for generations and others fizzle.

I AGREE with you, the attendance was HORRIBLE (In My Opinion) and I believe that the days of Classic Matchups may be over as MORE & MORE corporate hands & TV stations televise our games.... Many of these stations don't KNOW and have NOT experienced what makes HBCU Football GREAT & PROFITABLE, they only see $$$ and who's the corporate sponsors are. The strangest & weirdest thing is they say that the Celebration Bowl determines the Black College National Champ....... How's that possible when the CIAA nor SIAC Champions are even included or invited??

$50 IS PRICEY!!!!

MBC Marching Wolverines
Purple Haze DM - 90'
PHI MU ALPHA Sinfonia
Kappa Beta - Spring 94' #3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:32 pm 

Man, I'm going to say this once and I hope not to say it again. No one give two ratz a--es about Grambling and The North Louisiana Fame! Simply stated, Grambling SUCKS!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:29 pm 
Living Legend

I was there.

Grambling had the most entertaining halftime show.

Nccu had a clearer, more balanced sound.

Both bands were meh in the stands but I understand bc the game didn't get hype until the 4th qtr. Plus the dome bends the sound.

Princeton Review wrote:
"We’re pleased to recommend Florida A&M University to users of our site as one of the best schools to earn their undergrad degree."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:19 am 

:free:

Only thing you can identify with is losing...

The Incomparable FAMU Marching "100"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:43 am 

:lol:
Jp

I attended the game. Nice atmosphere despite the depressing attendance. There were numerous HBCUs represented which I thought was pretty awesome.

I was slightly embarrassed as a MEAC affiliate. NCCU was silent majority of the game and ran on & off the field :thumbsdown:.
I thought, or at least was hoping, Cookman was the only band in the MEAC that did that BS :handicap: Do we not practice in order not to run on and off the field :confused: Could def tell Jorim is no longer at the helm

Grambling clearly had more volume and the more entertaining show...but that's not saying a whole lot. I was pulling for NCCU initially, but by the end of the game I had jumped ship due to GSU playing that song 10 times that caused everyone around me to erupt in chanting..."I thought you knew!" :thumbsup:

I have my thoughts on this game being referred to as the Black College Bowl Championships :yuhh: . It was a poor showing and I think we owe our heritage/legacy in athletics a little more dignity.

Back to the :grave: this site goes....

IMO
*If the moderators would have done a better job of moderating this site circa 2012, it wouldn't be a dead one now* Noone to blame except the administrators of this site.

:wave:

Only thing you can identify with is losing...

The Incomparable FAMU Marching "100"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:24 pm 
Living Legend

Correction: "I thought you knew... BIIIOOTCH!!!!!! (Pastor Troy 'We Ready')

Gotta luv the swac ignorance. :lol:

Princeton Review wrote:
"We’re pleased to recommend Florida A&M University to users of our site as one of the best schools to earn their undergrad degree."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:41 pm 

pbsstep1914 wrote:

Agreed! Id even take TnSU Vs BCU as the Atlanta Classic... The Flopidation Bowl was doomed from the start.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:12 pm 
Assistant Section Leader

I went to the game and thought NCCU had a more balanced sound. Grambling was alright but still in the shadows of the rest of the SWAC now.

The Dome just does not do it for me as far as bands go. I will say Mr. Hollins is headed in the right direction with Central. I am glad he did separate the auxillary and now I do not see as much influence from Golden Delight as I once did. Just give Central a little more horns, time and less auxillary (Although they are clean) and they will be fine. Say what you want about them, their auxillary seems to be cleaner than most in the MEAC (if not the most). That could be due to less transitions on the field and an off year for some.
I am a football fan so that fourth quarter was everything to me.

Seems like the regular classics are still bigger than the Celebration bowl so as for now, I will sit back and observe.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:17 pm 
Living Legend

I think both conferences' leadership have to do a better job at selling this bowl as a representation of conference pride. Although your school may not be participating, more should be done to make conference peers want to show up. Maybe promote it as HBCU Holiday Homecoming or Winter Greekfest.

pbsstep...Idk about tsu, but FAMU will be back in a classic in ATL sooner than you might think.

Princeton Review wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:41 am 
Living Legend

APOLLO13 wrote:
I think both conferences' leadership have to do a better job at selling this bowl as a representation of conference pride. Although your school may not be participating, more should be done to make conference peers want to show up. Maybe promote it as HBCU Holiday Homecoming or Winter Greekfest.

pbsstep...Idk about tsu, but FAMU will be back in a classic in ATL sooner than you might think.

Saaaaaaaayyy Whatttttt!!???? Come on man. What U know? Lol. I am really hoping this is true. Sadly the last time I saw Florida A&M live they were over 300 strong. Maybe that was intentional. I haven't seen the Legion live since 2009 just as intentional. The Atlanta football classic was our last African-American parade in the city. Which is really sad… Our Independence Day parade which also featured our area black schools was illiminated like 7 years ago. Our Christmas parade has been white washed by way of selection process and so have our Chick-fil-A bowl parades, veteran parade, and others. ATL u ain't slick. I know what you're up to.

I hate that these people feel that they can just set up a bowl game in the city and people will automatically flock here. Marketing is really important. Atlanta is a terrific city, but you can't just assume that because the city is here people will show up. You have to market it. You have to Bring other events to the weekend to make it worth folk's coins. Keeping it real North Carolina Central versus Grambling sounded like the most boring weekend imaginable. If I was home, I may have caved in and gone. And why not make it two games and bring in the CIAA and the SIAC. One game can be played in the afternoon and one could be played in the evening. Do a large Battle of the bands the night before, and maybe a large step show somewhere. Do a recruitment fair, and some things for the community to participate in as well. Let's not forget a parade on Saturday morning and an HBCU Tailgate.

You have to go beyond the fan base of these two schools when marketing. You have to present something that interests people who are not fans of either of the two schools to create a major event. Unfortunately most people prefer schools with reasonable football teams and strong marching bands. Our strongest football teams don't necessarily come from schools with reputable marching bands. That's going to lower your attendance.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:33 am 
Living Legend

That's the conversation among the Rattler NNN. I'm not sure if it'll be backed by the 100BMA though.

And you're right, more needs to be done to attract the casual, unaffiliated fan. However, as long as the ratings (not ticket sales) justify, ESPN will continue to float the bowl. It def has potential to be a bigger event than what it currently is though. Maybe beefing up the swac vs. MEAC rivalry. Like a fan battle. Or rep your school where a specific allocation of tix are distributed to each conf school, and seats are in a designated section. I don't recall seeing anything like that last weekend. Marketing to the Greeks would probably be the best bet though.

Princeton Review wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:56 pm 
Living Legend

I'll have to keep my ears open. I long for the day when as a people we pick HBCUs the be fans off at the same level that we become fans of FSU, Alabama and Auburn. We gotta support each other. If we don't who will. Cuz u know good and well if Morris Brown was still here I would have season tickets EVERY year lol