It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: So, Band Law #576 has been violated
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:38 pm 
Director

Band Law 576 states that ANY HBCU band that accepts an invitation to do an inauguration of a president that has been on record of saying/doing racist horseshitt shall be clowned mercilessly....thill the end of time.

End. Of. TIME.

Congrats, Trumpadega. You all just high-stepped and buck danced your way into the firing lines of the immortals.

So sayeth the band gods.

Simple Truth #133:

Want to fully maximize your iPod? Listen to your ENTIRE LIBRARY on random at all times for a week or so. Thank me later.

Kicking a$$, taking names, and burning the list...

Post subject: Re: So, Band Law #576 has been violated
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:39 pm 

Honda BOTB didn't give them anything to do this year. It was their only option. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:19 pm 
Assistant Section Leader

from what i heard, this would be the 1st year of 40 years....or 7 Inaugural parades....that there wont be a DC representation.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:18 am 
Head Arranger

The "Kanye west" of marching bands.

If the band director is paying for this trip in any way, then there are better uses for the money. I couldn't see putting out money to travel to inaugurate trump. That's not an opportunity to be showcased.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:30 pm 
Band Fan

As if performing for Hillary "CP time and hot sauce in my purse" Clinton would have been any better.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:31 pm 
Band Fan

Hurricane Mir wrote:
Band Law 576 states that ANY HBCU band that accepts an invitation to do an inauguration of a president that has been on record of saying/doing racist horseshitt shall be clowned mercilessly....thill the end of time.

End. Of. TIME.

Congrats, Trumpadega. You all just high-stepped and buck danced your way into the firing lines of the immortals.

So sayeth the band gods.

As if performing for Hillary "CP time and hot sauce in my purse" Clinton would have been any better.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:40 am 
Assistant Section Leader

it would had been ALOT better

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:09 pm 
Director

A story I saw about this....

ALABAMA BAND TO MARCH AT INAUGURATION, IGNITING CONTROVERSY

The marching band of Alabama's oldest private, historically black liberal arts college has accepted an invitation to perform at President-elect Donald Trump's inaugural parade, organizers said.

Talladega College's band will march at Trump's inauguration as other historically black schools such as Howard University, which performed at President Barack Obama's first inaugural parade, said they won't be marching in the Jan. 20 event.

"We were a bit horrified to hear of the invitation," said Shirley Ferrill of Fairfield, Alabama, a member of Talladega's Class of 1974.

"I don't want my alma mater to give the appearance of supporting him," Ferrill said of Trump on Monday. "Ignore, decline or whatever, but please don't send our band out in our name to do that."

The move has lit up Talladega College's social media sites with a sharp debate about the band's decision to participate in the parade. Some people voiced strong opposition, while others support the band's participation.

"After how black people were treated at Trump's rallies, you're going to go and shuck and jive down Pennsylvania Avenue? For what?" Seinya SamForay said in an interview. "What they did is a slap in the face to other black universities."

SamForay, of Chicago, was among dozens of people commenting on the school's social media sites.

The Presidential Inaugural Committee announced Friday that the Talladega College Marching Tornadoes was among 40 groups, including high school bands and military organizations, scheduled to perform in the parade. Some members of the Marist College band in upstate New York, also scheduled to perform at the inauguration, say they won't participate, a school spokesman said Monday.

Ron White of Atlanta, a 1997 graduate of another historically black college, Fort Valley State University in Georgia, said he questioned why band members from Talladega "should be playing all these patriotic tunes for someone who has degraded us."

At the same time, though, White said he respects the office of the president and he hopes that Talladega's band does well.

"What they should do in my opinion is play that national anthem the best way they've ever played it in their life, because you're basically saluting the country," White said in an interview.

The nation's historically black colleges and universities instill in students the idea that "ignored behavior is condoned behavior," said Reese Walker of Memphis, who marched in the band at Mississippi Valley State University. That's one reason he doesn't think Talladega College should participate.

Talladega College officials haven't returned several phone calls and emails seeking comment.

The college was founded in 1867, by the descendants of the slaves who helped to build its first building, according to historical documents on the college's website.

The decision to march in Trump's inaugural parade has also sparked controversy at Marist College in Poughkeepsie, New York. The band will be marching, but some of its members will be staying home, school spokesman Greg Cannon said Monday. ( :hall: )

"They don't want to have anything to do with the inauguration or President Trump and we respect that, and that's their right," Cannon said.

"We're not looking to put anybody in a spot that conflicts with their personal beliefs," he added.

About six to eight Marist band members among more than 100 have said they won't perform, Cannon said. He said there won't be any repercussions for those students, and they will still have a place in the band when it returns from Washington, D.C.

Simple Truth #133:

Want to fully maximize your iPod? Listen to your ENTIRE LIBRARY on random at all times for a week or so. Thank me later.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:05 am 
Band-a-holic

They are getting slammed, even by alumni. Sometimes it's best to stay home.

[size=150]Ala. HBCU criticized for accepting invite to Trump’s inaugural parade[/size]

http://www.phillytrib.com/news/ala-hbcu ... 7d653.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:37 pm 
Band-a-holic

In my head, I keep telling myself that this is no big deal...it's just a stupid parade but in my heart, I'm very upset. I grew up in the south in the 1950's and endure all the hate and racism. So when a Presidential candidate creates an environment that brings out all that hate and racists I had to endure as a child, it just makes me sick.

Let's face it, the University's Administration and Band Director must believe there will be a payoff for participating in this parade. They may even think that the President-Elect will somehow reward them for going against others and playing in the parade. And they may be right but there are a lot of us that will never forgive them. So enjoy your bus ride to DC and while you're there go by the African American Museum and visit the basement...You need to see why so many folks from your community are upset with your decision to march for this person.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:14 pm 
Living Legend

This is symbolism. We're done. The fact that this is even a debate says that we have lost our collective backbone as a people. We burn down our own community when we believe a racist act has taken place, but when the man who stands by and advocates for those who committed the racist act becomes President, we grab our instruments and play him a tune?

The past two years that this man has put forth was so offensive to minorities of all kinds that it's hard to imagine accepting an invite even for the US Inauguration . Even WHITE schools are too offended to attend. Goes to show you, we are the only community that allows you to smack us in our face, and we still support you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:41 pm 
Director

Is Donald Trump paying for travel expenses? Talladega is doing him a huge favor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:02 pm 
Band Fan

Talladega's College Marching Band will march in the Inaugural parade. I believe the college's president, Dr. Billy Hawkins, made the right call to move forward with their participation. They will serve as ambassadors for the City of Talladega, the state of Alabama, and the HBCU Community, These excellent musicians will get the opportunity to participate in a national event that few college or HBCU bands have had the opportunity to be a part of over the lifetime of our Republic.

I understand and respect the feelings that people have about Donald Trump as the President-elect, but I believe that HBCUs have a historic mission and agenda to serve African-American students that transcends who the President of the United States is. In fact, HBCUs cannot afford to not influence national policy to benefit our historic institutions over the next four years. We cannot afford to say that because we don't like who is in the White House that we refuse to come to the table to push our collective agenda.

I also believe that Talledega will set the same example that Barack and Michelle Obama, Bill and Hillary Clinton, and the many other people who fundamentally disagree with Donald Trump. They will still be in attendance at the Inauguration of Donald Trump because they believe that our Republic is more important than one person. Talladega will serve as an ambassador for the HBCU Community, and will be taking one for the team that may lead to opening the doors for future conversations with the President-elect about increased opportunities for HBCUs. After a sharp decline over the last eight years for our historic institutions, we are in the collective fight of our lives to ensure our future.

“Attainment in LEADERSHIP”
“Perfection in MUSICIANSHIP”
“Precision in MARCHING”
“Dedication to SERVICE”

Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc (Founded 1906)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:34 am 
Band Fan

Talladega College Marching Band raises three-times as much as it needs to attend the inauguration of Donald Trump.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/13/historically-black-college-raises-280g-for-trump-inauguration-appearance.html

“Attainment in LEADERSHIP”
“Perfection in MUSICIANSHIP”
“Precision in MARCHING”
“Dedication to SERVICE”

Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc (Founded 1906)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:35 pm 
Assistant Section Leader

Ratterman1906 wrote:
Talladega's College Marching Band will march in the Inaugural parade. I believe the college's president, Dr. Billy Hawkins, made the right call to move forward with their participation. They will serve as ambassadors for the City of Talladega, the state of Alabama, and the HBCU Community, These excellent musicians will get the opportunity to participate in a national event that few college or HBCU bands have had the opportunity to be a part of over the lifetime of our Republic.

I understand and respect the feelings that people have about Donald Trump as the President-elect, but I believe that HBCUs have a historic mission and agenda to serve African-American students that transcends who the President of the United States is. In fact, HBCUs cannot afford to not influence national policy to benefit our historic institutions over the next four years. We cannot afford to say that because we don't like who is in the White House that we refuse to come to the table to push our collective agenda.

I also believe that Talledega will set the same example that Barack and Michelle Obama, Bill and Hillary Clinton, and the many other people who fundamentally disagree with Donald Trump. They will still be in attendance at the Inauguration of Donald Trump because they believe that our Republic is more important than one person. Talladega will serve as an ambassador for the HBCU Community, and will be taking one for the team that may lead to opening the doors for future conversations with the President-elect about increased opportunities for HBCUs. After a sharp decline over the last eight years for our historic institutions, we are in the collective fight of our lives to ensure our future.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Building support for our schools through the marching experience.

http://themarchingpodcast.com/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:37 pm 
Assistant Section Leader

Ratterman1906 wrote:
Talladega College Marching Band raises three-times as much as it needs to attend the inauguration of Donald Trump.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/13/historically-black-college-raises-280g-for-trump-inauguration-appearance.html

White folks clapback with money.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:04 pm 
Living Legend

I just hope black folks will respond by not inviting them to Honda not inviting them to the Magic city classic not inviting them to Charlotte for the Queen city battle of the bands not inviting them to do a battle of bands against Southern or Alabama state not inviting them to anything that we have in our community Tell them if they want to perform let the FOXNews viewers invite them somewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:10 am 
Director

Yep. We saw it. Trumpadega just got a come UP.

Bonds pimped the bigot game, and got paid. That part of this whole ordeal, I can't hate on. Phuck 'em where they warm-up on everything else.

I only have two general questions left on this matter:

1) What's going to happen to the other $350-400K extra they got? Are the students seeing any of that money, cause that'd by my first question if I was marching? They better not asking for scholarship help for the next decade after this.

2) How does this effect Dega join forward with the HBCU Band world? I'm sure the Fourth Reich Nation (aka supporters of the Orange Suckhole Supreme) can't bail them out of anything else as it pertains to HBCU matters. I would hate to see them blacklisted, but I know some sort of backlash is inevitable at this point.

Simple Truth #133:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:09 am 
Head Arranger

Hurricane Mir wrote:

2) How does this effect Dega join forward with the HBCU Band world? I'm sure the Fourth Reich Nation (aka supporters of the Orange Suckhole Supreme) can't bail them out of anything else as it pertains to HBCU matters. I would hate to see them blacklisted, but I know some sort of backlash is inevitable at this point.

Don't know about the hbcu band world, but the band director might be appointed to a newly created cabinet position. Secretary of show-style bands.

Hey, Ben Carson got HUD. smh... :confused:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:44 pm 
Band-a-holic

Well the white folks have spoken...once again they have proven that they will support any negroes that are willing to overlook racism and bigotry. This isn't new. We've lived with this in our community since slavery when the first house negroes realized they would be rewarded for betraying the field negroes! And like in the past,those house negroes get rewarded by the slave master.

Now the house negro marching band is getting publicity and financial rewards for agreeing to thumbing their nose at the field negroes and entertain the white folks. And short term, the house negro marching band is laughing it up with the white folks. But I've lived long enough to know that eventually the white man will get tired of the house negro marching band and kick them to the curb. And they will have to come back to the old neighborhood and ask for forgiveness.

I can't speak for anyone else on this site but I will neither forgive nor forget their actions. I live in Charlotte and have friends associated with the Queen City Battle of the Bands and you can be sure I will do all I can to get the house negro marching band blocked from ever performing here again. :wtf:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:21 pm 

jkb9703 wrote:
Ratterman1906 wrote:

Blacks folks are mostly talk, even Tom Joyner and his many black listeners haven't raised that kind of money for ONE HBCU ever! White people have always been serious when it comes to fundraising. The only thing black people are serious about is trying to act and be "IMPORTANT" and can't raise a penny for it's people!

I applaud Talladega College's President, he did the RIGHT thing! It's about Talladega College NOT Donald Trump! :wave:

Talladega College Marching Band @ the 2017 Inaugural Parade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:30 pm 
Band Fan

As a proud black man, band director, husband, father, mentor and leader in my community, I have to ask how the performance of a marching band has hindered or made more difficult our task in strengthening our community as black men. Our people are too engaged in battles that profit no winnings aside from a "field negro" badge. Our people are displaying an emotional instability and disunity that renders us vulnerable to attack by a more formidable adversary. We've endured slavery, unfair treatment under the laws of the land, inferior schools, the systematic attack on the family structure, the extermination of the black male, but an institution of learning created for the sons and daughters of former slaves will somehow do us harm by displaying their marching band in front of a man with whom we disagree? WE (blacks, HBCUs, bandsmen) are being our own worst enemy right now. Widen your gaze people.

-Lawrence Jackson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:25 pm 
Assistant Section Leader

Greg wrote:
jkb9703 wrote:
Ratterman1906 wrote:

Blacks folks are mostly talk, even Tom Joyner and his many black listeners haven't raised that kind of money for ONE HBCU ever! White people have always been serious when it comes to fundraising. The only thing black people are serious about is trying to act and be "IMPORTANT" and can't raise a penny for it's people!

I applaud Talladega College's President, he did the RIGHT thing! It's about Talladega College NOT Donald Trump! :wave:

Talladega College Marching Band @ the 2017 Inaugural Parade

church

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:40 pm 

You know, in my time as a white male on A&T's campus, I learned a lot about the struggle the black community goes through daily, from both within and without. There's so much in the media and popular opinion that tarnishes even the slightest glimmer of pride from the black community anytime someone manages an accolade or feat that it's almost overwhelming to try and do anything for the good of society. There's so much that black men and women offer the people of the world every day, from music to science to politics and medicine. The history the black community has been responsible for is an indication that, no matter what pressures may be on a people, they can rise up and overcome.

We now face one of the most potentially devastating moments in history for black people in the blood-stained history of our country. Given everything that's been said over the past few years by our incoming president and his party, there is much reason to fear for the future. We are at a crossroads, and many are not sure how to proceed. Should we attempt to make peace with the white house and attempt to help build a relationship with a dangerous man, or should we oppose him at every turn? The arguments for both sides are numerous and multi-faceted. In my personal opinion, I have no respect for this man and his administration, and will gladly be a thorn in his and his supporters side in any way I can, because I feel that what he represents cannot be allowed to be normalized in any way, shape, or fashion.

Talledega College had a choice: take advantage of the vacuum of talent left vacant and march, or show solidarity with the people Trump have mistreated in the past. Though I'm sure marching helped raise much money that will hopefully be used for the upbuilding of their program, when they return home, and the lights go our from the TV cameras, and they are alone with their people, I wonder if marching was worth losing the respect of their community?

Understand, they made a decision that other schools did, but with completely different repercussions. If Ohio State decided to march, though many in the public wouldn't like it, it wouldn't affect them in the same way, because much of Donald's demographic are represented by the University. Talledega College cannot say the same. Their alumni are upset, and rightfully so, and we all know that in our HBCUs, next to federal funding as our land grant status continues to aid us, alumni are important supporters of our continued development.

I think Talledega made a mistake. I pray it doesn't kill the program or the school, but I also can't say I'd be surprised if it did. Over the next few years, this conversation of "house vs field" will occur. Kayne West, Steve Harvey, and many more will have their names called out in the annals of Black Twitter for years to come for rubbing elbows with the Donald. Maybe their aims are admirable, laudable even. Maybe their aims are selfish. Some will spout the "crabs in a bucket" mantra, but I ask you:

What is the price a man is willing to trade for his soul and his dreams?

Director of Bands
Graham High School

Check us out on...

...Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrahamRedDevilsBand
...Twitter: https://twitter.com/GrahamRDBand
...Instagram: http://instagram.com/grahamreddevilsband

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:22 am 
Band-a-holic

blue_square_crescent wrote:
You know, in my time as a white male on A&T's campus, I learned a lot about the struggle the black community goes through daily, from both within and without. There's so much in the media and popular opinion that tarnishes even the slightest glimmer of pride from the black community anytime someone manages an accolade or feat that it's almost overwhelming to try and do anything for the good of society. There's so much that black men and women offer the people of the world every day, from music to science to politics and medicine. The history the black community has been responsible for is an indication that, no matter what pressures may be on a people, they can rise up and overcome.

We now face one of the most potentially devastating moments in history for black people in the blood-stained history of our country. Given everything that's been said over the past few years by our incoming president and his party, there is much reason to fear for the future. We are at a crossroads, and many are not sure how to proceed. Should we attempt to make peace with the white house and attempt to help build a relationship with a dangerous man, or should we oppose him at every turn? The arguments for both sides are numerous and multi-faceted. In my personal opinion, I have no respect for this man and his administration, and will gladly be a thorn in his and his supporters side in any way I can, because I feel that what he represents cannot be allowed to be normalized in any way, shape, or fashion.

Talledega College had a choice: take advantage of the vacuum of talent left vacant and march, or show solidarity with the people Trump have mistreated in the past. Though I'm sure marching helped raise much money that will hopefully be used for the upbuilding of their program, when they return home, and the lights go our from the TV cameras, and they are alone with their people, I wonder if marching was worth losing the respect of their community?

Understand, they made a decision that other schools did, but with completely different repercussions. If Ohio State decided to march, though many in the public wouldn't like it, it wouldn't affect them in the same way, because much of Donald's demographic are represented by the University. Talledega College cannot say the same. Their alumni are upset, and rightfully so, and we all know that in our HBCUs, next to federal funding as our land grant status continues to aid us, alumni are important supporters of our continued development.

I think Talledega made a mistake. I pray it doesn't kill the program or the school, but I also can't say I'd be surprised if it did. Over the next few years, this conversation of "house vs field" will occur. Kayne West, Steve Harvey, and many more will have their names called out in the annals of Black Twitter for years to come for rubbing elbows with the Donald. Maybe their aims are admirable, laudable even. Maybe their aims are selfish. Some will spout the "crabs in a bucket" mantra, but I ask you:

What is the price a man is willing to trade for his soul and his dreams?

Thanks for your comments...Loyalty!