It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 2017 Honda BOTBs Rankings..
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:46 pm 

I agree with the rankings and break down of the rankings:

https://blockusup.com/2017/01/19/honda/

...Carry On..

Post subject: Re: 2017 Honda BOTBs Rankings..
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:49 am 

1. NC A&T (really worked this show out, great General Effect, music was on point and incredibly demanding, just need to work on guiding out those lines across field)
2. AAMU (you guys have some of the most balanced sound out of everyone there, and your marching was on point)
3. Alcorn State (sounds clear and controlled, and step two was clean as a whistle)
4. BCU (good sound, tight formations, just really nothing ever new)
5. ASU (great idea for the downfill with the smoke machine, but retire the bees)
6. TxSU (your band has grown smaller, but still nice approach to your sound, needs a little more focus on marching)
7. WSSU (great ideas, liked that you kept tempo under control spread from the 40s, but thin sound really hurts you)
8. Benedict (not a bad approach, liked the drum solo, try some formation changes next time, and let the band do some formations to accentuate your music)

Some comments:

1. Make this voting open, no more conference crap. I loved Benedict and WSSU, but there were better bands left out of the running because they have to be voted in.

2. I need some of ya'll to start doing something new. Some of these bands have amazing kids, smart kids, but literally 75% of the shows seemed recycled from other shows. We have some of the best HBCU kids in these bands, so try some weird formations, bring in some different instruments, go the extra mile.

3. You might not like this, but stop having your band accompany singers. The dome ruins the balance. If you're not going to personally mic and balance your singers against the band, this is never going to work out.

4. Would it kill some of ya'll to shift home while high stepping? I understand some instruments are bulky and these pass through drills might be kind of tough, but I literally have no idea what half these bands are playing until they face front.

5. This is a showcase of your band's talent, so can we hear more from your woodwinds and drummers? Two groups did a drum solo. I know BCU and TxSU love to block up, so can we give them a minute or two? You don't need a 5 minute block, because then it loses impact, but again, do something new.

Another good year for Honda!

Director of Bands
Graham High School

Check us out on...

...Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrahamRedDevilsBand
...Twitter: https://twitter.com/GrahamRDBand
...Instagram: http://instagram.com/grahamreddevilsband

Post subject: Re: 2017 Honda BOTBs Rankings..
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:49 pm 
Band-a-holic

blue_square_crescent wrote:
1. NC A&T (really worked this show out, great General Effect, music was on point and incredibly demanding, just need to work on guiding out those lines across field)
2. AAMU (you guys have some of the most balanced sound out of everyone there, and your marching was on point)
3. Alcorn State (sounds clear and controlled, and step two was clean as a whistle)
4. BCU (good sound, tight formations, just really nothing ever new)
5. ASU (great idea for the downfill with the smoke machine, but retire the bees)
6. TxSU (your band has grown smaller, but still nice approach to your sound, needs a little more focus on marching)
7. WSSU (great ideas, liked that you kept tempo under control spread from the 40s, but thin sound really hurts you)
8. Benedict (not a bad approach, liked the drum solo, try some formation changes next time, and let the band do some formations to accentuate your music)

Some comments:

1. Make this voting open, no more conference crap. I loved Benedict and WSSU, but there were better bands left out of the running because they have to be voted in. So True!

2. I need some of ya'll to start doing something new. Some of these bands have amazing kids, smart kids, but literally 75% of the shows seemed recycled from other shows. We have some of the best HBCU kids in these bands, so try some weird formations, bring in some different instruments, go the extra mile. Thank you...I didn't drive 5 hours, pay for expensive restaurant food and a hotel room for 3 days to see your warmed over halftime show.

3. You might not like this, but stop having your band accompany singers. The dome ruins the balance. If you're not going to personally mic and balance your singers against the band, this is never going to work out. When I see a singer on the field, I know your band has run out of creative ideas for a show!

4. Would it kill some of ya'll to shift home while high stepping? I understand some instruments are bulky and these pass through drills might be kind of tough, but I literally have no idea what half these bands are playing until they face front. I thought it was just me that couldn't hear half the songs in the down field march. Why not once in awhile play to the fans in the stands not the end zones!

5. This is a showcase of your band's talent, so can we hear more from your woodwinds and drummers? Two groups did a drum solo. I know BCU and TxSU love to block up, so can we give them a minute or two? You don't need a 5 minute block, because then it loses impact, but again, do something new.

Another good year for Honda!