It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Queen City BOTB
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:19 am 

Queen City BOTB adds famed SWAC band
by Steven J. Gaither - July 20, 2017

There are dozens of events billed as “Battle of The Bands” around the country, but the Queen City Battle of The Bands in Charlotte is becoming one of the most anticipated.

The QCBOTB revealed that Jackson State University’s Sonic Boom of The South will be the final addition to the August 26th event, which is heading into its fourth year.

The Sonic Boom will join a lineup that includes:

-Alabama State’s Mighty Marching Hornets
-Bethune-Cookman’s Marching Wildcats
–North Carolina Central’s Sound Machine
–Norfolk State’s Spartan Legion
-Miles College’s Purple Marching Machine
-Talladega College’s Marching Tornadoes
-Tennessee State’s Aristocrat of Bands
–Winston-Salem State’s Red Sea of Sound

https://hbcugameday.com/2017/07/20/quee ... ithout-at/ :wave:

Last edited by Greg on Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Queen City BOTB adds famed SWAC band!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:55 am 
Band-a-holic

This is a pretty good line up. Excited to see TnSu, Bethune, and Miles. Curious to see if TC has improved at all this year.

I can't wait to see Norfolk restored to its former glory. I really did not appreciate their program as much as I should until after their fall. Hopefully this is the year.

Definitely making the trip. Definitely worth the ride.

Post subject: Re: Queen City BOTB
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:29 am 
Living Legend

Excellent line-up. Left me curious why certain programs are not on the list: A&T, Southern, AAMU.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:06 am 
Band-a-holic

Unfortunately, SU declined the invite. Last year the university had a certain leader (s) hating on the band making it difficult for them to attend the event. That leader no longer works at the university. I predict the Juke will be back in the coming years!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:09 pm 
Living Legend

Ohhh man. Thanks for the incite. I thought Southern was just regulating their exposure kinda like Honda, giving folks time to miss them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:14 pm 
Band-a-holic

That too!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:50 pm 
Band-a-holic

I can already see JSU, Norfolk, and TennSt running this battle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:40 pm 
Living Legend

Don't count out Miles.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:09 am 

757va wrote:

Add BCU to your list and I will second that motion! :wave:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:26 pm 

Greg wrote:
757va wrote:

BCU is always solid. I remember back when the Queen City event used be the Defeat the Beat BOTBs when they chose a winner and I think NCAT won in 2003, but in 2004, there was NCAT, SCSU (I believe this was Mr. Ellis 1st year as band director and Angie Stone performed with the band because her daughter was on the band), JSU, Miles, BCU, and a couple of others. The winner was BCU that year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:52 pm 

blkplaya9891 wrote:
Greg wrote:
757va wrote:

BCU is always solid. I remember back when the Queen City event used be the Defeat the Beat BOTBs when they chose a winner and I think NCAT won in 2003, but in 2004, there was NCAT, SCSU (I believe this was Mr. Ellis 1st year as band director and Angie Stone performed with the band because her daughter was on the band), JSU, Miles, BCU, and a couple of others. The winner was BCU that year.

I''m here to approve this post. :wave:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:02 am 
Band-a-holic

First off another great year for The Queen City Battle of the Bands. The attendance is getting larger and larger.

Stand battle note: I was sitting directly in front of both bands. I was able to judge the battle pretty fairly.

BCU vs Talladega:
I missed this battle so can really comment on this. I was standing waiting in line to get into the stadium for an hour. Which pisses me off because people who were buying tickets at the door were getting in faster. On top off that you only have one way to get in the venue. This needs to be addressed!

JSU vs TALLADEGA

If you were sleep you woke up for this one. Talladega did not come to play this year. Their sound and power has improved immensely. I was very impressed. They handled JSU. JSU tried to pull a FAMU and stall for time playing a long arse version of the show but Talladega was like naw come take this L. lol

The announcers were trying to cut them off. I was like naw let em fight. They came with something to prove and they did!

Side note: That Maneater from JSU is always godly. Y'all should've opened with that...

JSU vs TnSU

JSU over powered TnSU in this one. Kinda disappointed with TnSu this year. My favorite band let me down. :-(

Miles Vs TnSU

Miles is godly this year. Their Power was unmatched tonight. Its always been a pleasure seeing them these past couple years. They don't get the respect they deserve. I don't think any band there was ready for what Miles has evolved into when it comes to stand battles. I hope people will stop overlooking this program.

I would love to see a Miles VS. Southern battle this year. Id pay good money to see this.

Miles Vs ASU

Again no Band was prepared for Miles tonight. ASU held their own. I was very impressed and they deserved props for that but Miles is on another level right now.

Norfolk Vs ASU:

Norfolk was getting slept on. They showed musicianship in the stands. Judging from the crowd it went over a lot of peoples heads. ASU did great as well. ASU had the edge as far as power goes but Norfolk out played them and kept up with them for their size.

Shows:

Norfolk:

They're back!!! Hands down the best show of the night. Fantastic sound and power for their size. Words can't describe how happy I am to see this program back on their feet. with a few more numbers they will be a serious problem for the MEAC. Y'all should be very worried lol It may be a new King of the Hill soon. That Anita Baker was very nice and their Deja Vu has always been unmatched

Talladega:

Great sound. Again a great improvement from last year. I see they put those Make America Great dollars to use :lol: Fantastic song selection. Probably the best song selection of the night. I think this is the second year I've said that. That tearing up my heart was very nice. AND THAT 'MAKE ME" by Janet Jackson was ON POINT. Redbone was a very good song choice as well. Keep it up. I would mind Seeing a Miles Vs Talladega battle this year as well. Id pay good money for that too.

TnSU:

I take back my comments after a good debate with my friend. A band should not be punished for being consistent. TnSU sounded and looked good as always.

BCU:

Precision and Perfection unmatched. Sounded good and consistent as always. I would like to hear some new songs though shesssh... can we please update the book.

Miles:

Good show. Nothing really stood out to me besides the concert selection which brought the house down. Still a good show. Best Color guard is between Norfolk and Miles.

ASU:

Good show as well. They sounded good. Forever my Lady was a good choice. Their Color Guard was on point! That its all good by Fantasia was good. I think the best dance squads is between the Stingetts and Hot Ice.

Last edited by supervillaindw on Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:05 am 

My only comment. 14K, they slayed last night, NO competition from the other squads, they were in a league of their own! :heart: :hall: :wave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... C4rSfYhvbo

Last edited by Greg on Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:39 pm 
Living Legend

OMG NORFOLK!!!!

:surprised: :surprised: :surprised:

https://youtu.be/e2aP4Kr8bHk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:34 am 
Assistant Director

Norfolk was so great a lot of these bands need to take notes on how to drill and play because as soon as they start moving..... :handicap: ...( cough).....jsu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:11 am 
Living Legend

pbsstep1914 wrote:
Don't count out Miles.

Told yuh! Hahahhaa