It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Is Unity Possible?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:51 pm 
Drum Major

I can clearly remember the days of The Ranks and the early days of The 5th. We were competitors, but there seemed to be a bond between us. The bond was so strong, I opened up my home for two events, NLBH I and NLBH II to celebrate HBCU bands, talk a little junk and network.

Then, things turned a bit ugly. People who were "cool" face-to-face went straight rogue online with comments that went way beyond band and halftime. This was the beginning of trolling. It's so common online today. But to me, it was new in 1999-2001. I guess since I had a somewhat public profile and family, I was particularly vulnerable back in the day to attack. Still, for the most part those were good times.

In today's culture trolling and E-thugs are more common than ever. I read stuff people say on other sites and wonder whether there is hope for HBCUs. I'm not talking about bands. I'm talking about the schools. If you haven't noticed, there are MANY, MANY people who would love to see our doors shut. For this reason, we MUST be unified- despite the fact that we want our bands to be SUPERIOR TO ALL OTHERS.

I hope the spirit of unity still exists on the 5th. Moving forward, it's essential to the survival of HBCUs. Heck, this might mean you, WHEN YOU GET OLD LIKE ME, should consider writing a check to a school other than your own. Is this kind of unity possible. I think and hope that it is.

https://www.facebook.com/ULLC.EDU/photo ... =3&theater

Fight FOR HBCUs With Me,
Hodge

Hodge

Post subject: Re: Is Unity Possible?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:55 pm 
Band-a-holic

The Voice wrote:
I can clearly remember the days of The Ranks and the early days of The 5th. We were competitors, but there seemed to be a bond between us. The bond was so strong, I opened up my home for two events, NLBH I and NLBH II to celebrate HBCU bands, talk a little junk and network.

Then, things turned a bit ugly. People who were "cool" face-to-face went straight rogue online with comments that went way beyond band and halftime. This was the beginning of trolling. It's so common online today. But to me, it was new in 1999-2001. I guess since I had a somewhat public profile and family, I was particularly vulnerable back in the day to attack. Still, for the most part those were good times.

In today's culture trolling and E-thugs are more common than ever. I read stuff people say on other sites and wonder whether there is hope for HBCUs. I'm not talking about bands. I'm talking about the schools. If you haven't noticed, there are MANY, MANY people who would love to see our doors shut. For this reason, we MUST be unified- despite the fact that we want our bands to be SUPERIOR TO ALL OTHERS.

I hope the spirit of unity still exists on the 5th. Moving forward, it's essential to the survival of HBCUs. Heck, this might mean you, WHEN YOU GET OLD LIKE ME, should consider writing a check to a school other than your own. Is this kind of unity possible. I think and hope that it is.

https://www.facebook.com/ULLC.EDU/photo ... =3&theater

Fight FOR HBCUs With Me,
Hodge

I think a big part of the issue is the ability of the internet to let people say nasty things in secret. People are hiding behind the internet. In fact if we had to use our real names on the internet, a lot of this nastiness would end. The other problem is this whole notion of ranking bands is stupid. I'm old enough to remember when your band performed at halftime and that was it. Now for the next 10 to 20 days folks are criticizing and ranking every aspect of your performance. And even if your band had a fantastic performance, fans of rival bands wouldn't dare tell you that.

I've been involved in HBCU bands since 1965 and here's what I know...we have a fantastic and unique product with a great tradition. We should respect that tradition not trash it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:11 pm 
Head Arranger

https://youtu.be/cS3Lh56cruo

Here's a good example. Almost brought a tear to my eye... (chuckling at them two totally different conducting styles :lol: )

Outside of Honda, has there been any other instance of two hbcus combining for a song or two? It'd be nice to see it happen.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:37 pm 
Drum Major

That was great stuff SP100. I know that A&T and UNC did a show together a couple of years ago. It was AWESOME.

As far as HBCU bands are concerned, I've seen A&T play together with FAMU, Hampton, Howard. In the late 90s, it became common as many directors approached retirement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiLqK02E-88

Hodge

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:39 pm 
Drum Major

The great Emory Fears of NSU directs BGMM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBojmBApZVE

Hodge