It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: TSU done with HBCU's already? Hmmmm
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:16 pm 
Living Legend

As a bandsman, it's going to take me some time to get used to our HBCU's playing more and more pwcu programs. This year seems to be more noticeable than all the others. TSU as of Sept 16th has already played their last HBCU game all season. My University UWG plays 3 HBCU's to start the season. Kennesaw State plays 3 and more HBCU's seem to be heading to the ATL not to meet up with Morehouse or Clark but to meet up with our PWCU's. I understand the justifications as athletic strategy goes and I get that free money is free money, but am I the only one struggling with accepting this season as a bandsman looking for games with two HBCU bands?

Post subject: Re: TSU done with HBCU's already? Hmmmm
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:39 pm 
Drum Major

I'm telling you, it's a sign of the future. Follow the money. I hate that this is the case, but it is.

Hodge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:30 pm 
Band-a-holic

Take a deep breath...the HBCU world isn't coming to an end, so don't panic. Don't judge HBCU band and football programs by Tennessee State's program. Several years ago they chose to part ways with the HBCU conferences so this is nothing new. Whatever floats your boat. As for the other HBCU programs, more and more HBCUs are scheduling PWI out of conference games but those are pure money games. Designed to add a few extra dollars to the Athletic budget. After those quick paydays, most HBCUs settle back into their regular conference games.

I see HBCUs venturing into PWI stadiums at the start of the season as all positive...we get a good payday, we get some broader exposure and if you schedule wisely, you might end up improving your school's brand. This past Saturday, A&T got paid $300,000 to drive 2 hours to Charlotte, NC and embarrass UNC Charlotte (28,000 students) a FBS team in front of their largest home crowd ever. And our band got a standing ovation from their fans.

Those HBCUs that have good leadership are doing a fantastic job growing their brands and remaining true to the HBCU philosophy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:24 am 

Tennessee State Schedule has been like that for a while.

I am shocked they no longer play Bethune Cookman. I think that was a good match up. But I noticed that attendence was low. They did have some good 5th quarters tho...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:24 pm 
Assistant Section Leader

:hall:
marchingband1969 wrote:
Take a deep breath...the HBCU world isn't coming to an end, so don't panic. Don't judge HBCU band and football programs by Tennessee State's program. Several years ago they chose to part ways with the HBCU conferences so this is nothing new. Whatever floats your boat. As for the other HBCU programs, more and more HBCUs are scheduling PWI out of conference games but those are pure money games. Designed to add a few extra dollars to the Athletic budget. After those quick paydays, most HBCUs settle back into their regular conference games.

I see HBCUs venturing into PWI stadiums at the start of the season as all positive...we get a good payday, we get some broader exposure and if you schedule wisely, you might end up improving your school's brand. This past Saturday, A&T got paid $300,000 to drive 2 hours to Charlotte, NC and embarrass UNC Charlotte (28,000 students) a FBS team in front of their largest home crowd ever. And our band got a standing ovation from their fans.

Those HBCUs that have good leadership are doing a fantastic job growing their brands and remaining true to the HBCU philosophy.