Prairie View A&M
Tennessee State University
Alabama A&M
North Carolina A&T
Hampton University
Miles College
Bethune-Cookman University

Thoughts?

Excited to see PVAM and the final product of Miles this season. TnSU, BCU, AAMU will be solid. NCAT has had a pretty good season however they have been hit or miss these past couple of seasons. Haven't seen Hampton this year so it will be a treat to see. Just realized the line up has some pretty large programs this year. Usually the Honda tries to squeeze those smaller programs in...

Post subject: Re: HONDA BOTB 2018
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:28 am 
Living Legend

The next day we will be holding the Mercedes Benz Battle of the Bands featuring:

Southern
Jackson State
FAMU
Norfolk State
Alcorn State
Texas Southern
Grambling
UAPB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:14 pm 
Assistant Section Leader

pbsstep1914 wrote:
The next day we will be holding the Mercedes Benz Battle of the Bands featuring:

Southern
Jackson State
FAMU
Norfolk State
Alcorn State
Texas Southern
Grambling
UAPB

Don’t tease lol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:54 am 
Living Legend

SHESAXMEAC wrote:
pbsstep1914 wrote:

Southern
Jackson State
FAMU
Norfolk State
Alcorn State
Texas Southern
Grambling
UAPB

Don’t tease lol

:lol:

Just a little fun. Kinda odd that the celebrity bands will not be at the inaugural HBOB at the new Mercedez Benz Stadium.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:56 pm 
Band-a-holic

pbsstep1914 wrote:
SHESAXMEAC wrote:
pbsstep1914 wrote:

Southern
Jackson State
FAMU
Norfolk State
Alcorn State
Texas Southern
Grambling
UAPB

Don’t tease lol

:lol:

Just a little fun. Kinda odd that the celebrity bands will not be at the inaugural HBOB at the new Mercedez Benz Stadium.

I BLEEP near checked flights!!! Honda is cool but Queen City gives me what i need!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:39 pm 
Living Legend

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Honda feels that because they sell out 70,000 seats that there is no reason to change. Maybe pretty sure we are 2 or 3 years from the last one. And Queen City will start doing the most soon. I’m pretty sure they will move to Band of America stadium get some new sponsors and it will be all down hill from there. Honda should aim to be the best no matter what. No matter how large or small and no matter how many times the same bands get selected. This whole let’s givr Hampton a chance crap is some bull.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:16 pm 
Band Fan

The crazy part about it is Hampton has sold out their section and getting everyone else section they will be deep. Money talks with this Honda event and who can blame them. That's 70k eyes viewing your band at the exact same time. No other event can beat that besides the Magic City Classic.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:12 pm 
Living Legend

And that’s it. School pride has never =ed good band lol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:20 am 
Band Fan

Here are the top 5 bands. bias or not these are your top 5 and 10 good bands.

http://theundefeated.com/videos/gimme-5 ... y-facebook

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:15 pm 

Trombone_1914 wrote:
Here are the top 5 bands. bias or not these are your top 5 and 10 good bands.

http://theundefeated.com/videos/gimme-5 ... y-facebook

I actually agree with this list. Pretty accurate. The only statement I disagreed with is the NCAT improving. They aren't the band they once we're consistency is their issue.

They even added TnSU and Miles which was pretty fair as well

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:15 pm 
Rank Sargeant

pbsstep1914 wrote:

Southern
Jackson State
FAMU
Norfolk State
Alcorn State
Texas Southern
Grambling
UAPB

My silly arse almost went a edited my hotel stay :lol:

Formally known as "DaPicc Playa"
FAMU Today, FAMU Tommorow, FAMU FOREVER....STRIKE ON RATTLERS
Florida A&M University Marching 100 Fall 2000
Delta Iota,, Chapter of Kappa Kappa Psi Spr. 2002 #3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:20 am 

Does anyone know which way PV, Miles, and TnSU are facing in the dome?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:23 am 
Head Drum Major

Location: Atlanta,Ga born Stone Mountain,Ga raised ,Reside Atlanta,Ga,GA
Its on the Honda Botb website under event info. :thumbsup:

Sum 11'

Scream_Bone X wrote:
"Telling it like it is" + "Something one doesn't want to hear (although it's likely true)" = "Hating"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:51 pm 
Band Fan

I really enjoyed all the bands... I can't wait to see the comments.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:15 pm 

Please excuse the oddly placed words. My computer tries to guess what words I'm about to type and has me sounding crazy lol

PART 1

Let me first start off by saying that every program was great! From beginning to end! Rankings are pretty much from Good to Greatest! :lol: Props to all the Band Directors faculty and staff for producing some phenomenal programs this year. Your hard work doesn't go unnoticed! Thank you for not only continuing the Tradition and our history and raising the bar all at the same time.

This being the first year at the Mercedes Benz Stadium. There were definitely some pros and cons to the event being held there. Its funny because I commute past this structure on a daily basis and it looks so grandioso and extravagant on the outside but going inside left much to be desired. It basically looks like they built a stadium and dropped a shell on it. Like its two separate structures. Hints why they didn't call it a dome lol makes sense. The finished product doesn't really justify the $1.6 Billion price tag. :handicap:

Getting on the issue of sound. It does get lost in this building on the higher levels. I was kicking myself for not buying my tickets sooner. I waited to buy the tickets and went as a group so it forced me to sit on the upper levels.

I remember there were some claims that sound would be an issue in this structure. I agree to an extent. Some of the smaller bands did have an issue of sound reaching the upper levels. While the larger programs had little issues here.

Hampton University:

I was sitting on the upper levels on the opposite side so I couldn't really hear anything from this performance. But what I did notice about Hampton is they drilled. They pretty much out drilled everyone there. They were doing some things Ive seen in Asian marching band ensembles so kudos there. I had to go to youtube to give them a fair a chance on sound and music selection. They sounded pretty good. I liked the concert selection of Trey Songz "Neighbors know my name". It was a solid performance and the band is still building so this is a pretty good start. I hope this school gives the music program the tools and support it needs to build and grow.

Alabama A&M University:

I must say I always get excited to see AAMU. Not only for their sound and precision but their Opening Fanfares!!! Its always so jazzy, bluesy and beautifully written! Props to the arrangers! They did a solid drill to Luther Vandross. The color guard enhanced their drill here as they always do adding aesthetically pleasing visuals. The Stevie Wonder and Dru Hill selections were very nice!

Dancing Divas: Them Dancing Divas! These ladies came to slay. I see why they won the Radiant Dance competition. It was well deserved kudos to them. The Divas danced or shall I say slayed to Sam Sparro's "Black and Gold" one of my all time favorite songs. From the moment they began to strut on the field on the 40 yard line I knew they were about to show out. Solid choreography strong yet feminine showing off flexibility and acrobatic prowess these ladies were #1 in my book for dancers of the night. The uniforms were classy and the white gloves really made their movements really pop.

I really liked the arrangement of "Black and Gold" again beautifully written! :thumbsup:
AAMU ended their show with a series of dance routines really showing the power they possess.

Overall AAMU was solid as usual. This band is equally yoked throughout the program. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Miles College aka Miles.edu :lol: (Inside Joke) :

The undisputed kings of the SIAC started off the the show with their 'Neck' intro which always gets the crowd hype and sets the tone for the performance. They begin their drill with Whitney Houstons "I'm your baby tonight". Which sounded beautiful and the tempo kept the energy going into Janelle Monae's "Tightrope" Again sounded great I like the subtle nuances in the arrangement from the original. The concert selection was nice.

Miles has ended this year on a solid note. Very pleased to see them at HBOB

Prairie View A&M University:

This was my most anticipated performance of the night. I haven't seen PVAMU in person since 2004 when they made me a fan. They have an energy I can never quite put my finger on.

The marching panthers started their show off with their signature fanfare "Entertainment Tonight". I immediately began to smile ear to ear from not only being hit with nostalgia but also being hit with a wall of sound and that wall of sound would set the tone of their performance. I liked their song selection of Destiny Child's "Bill,Bills,Bills" JAY-Z "NY State of mind" Beyonce's "Sweet Dreams" which had a nice drill.

The Marching Storm then moved into their new tradition of creating a Hurricane on the field. Something I will admit I wasn't a fan of initially. However they executed it much better this time and the audience seemed to like it. They then moved into JAY-Z's "Run this Town" which is appropriate for them. Again showcasing their power the crowd joined in for a good payoff for crowd participation.

The concert selection was nice as well. Ive become a fan of their concert selections this year. Their My,My,My by Johnny Gil and now 'Dangerously in Love' by Beyonce sounded very nice and that wall of sound never stopped coming. Twirling Thunder added visual aesthetics like only they can.

The Black Foxes danced to Loose my breath. It was a strong performance. I usually detest dancelines with fifty eleven people but they make it work. The choreography was up to date with a certain vintage flair staying loyal to their style and tradition. The band again not letting up on power kept the energy at a high pace.

The drum line feature. I usually don't like drum line features which is funny because I played Cymbals, Bass Drum, Tenor Drum, and Quints. I just think they are boring to watch but PVAMU drum line has always been entertaining. The sticking was on point and the stunts definitely won the crowd over.

They ended with a powerful version of Formation and a dance routine that excited the crowd as well.

Overall PVAMU had a strong show. A relentless wall of sound and energy that did not let up until they left the field. Excited to see what they have in store for us for the 2018 marching season.

Thats the end of the first half.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by supervillaindw on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:21 pm 

North Carolina A&T University:

Riding high off the steam of their stellar performance from the 2014 HBOB the Aggies opened their show to 'We are the champions". :lol: Just Kidding. :wink:

NCAT opened their show to a strong 'We are the Champions'. They drilled to 'Aint no stopping us now' which was very nice I was definitely impressed with the drill and high energy execution. The drum feature was nice as well.

The Sweet Hearts of the MEAC Golden Delight danced to a pop medley Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus. I really like that lady Gaga portion of the arrangement. Very powerful. Golden Delight showed flexibility and strong transitions in their routine. Probably the best transitions of the night.

The band moved into a concert selection from EWF sounded beautiful. Golden Delight showcasing that they can truly do it all.

The band ended the show with a strong dance routine.

Overall they had a Good show. Strong end to their season.

Alabama State University:

To be honest ASU hasn't been on my radar this year. However they had a solid showcasing. ASU presence on the field was very passive aggressive or dare I say smooth. Like a glass of champagne the effects sneak up on you. They opened up their show to a powerful rendition of Ray Davies "Sting of the Serpent".

Moving into their drill of Fantastic Voyage. Where they did a picture drill of an alien in a spaceship which I really liked. They transitioned into ATL to blow 'Welcome to Atlanta"
which showed the power they posses.

The concert selection: The pinnacle of their show. Their rendition of Xscape's "Who can I run to" sounded beautiful in person. Those tubas were cooking with grease. They had me grooving with that baseline. The woodwinds were also holding it down as well. The color guard kept the routine simplistic during concert piece.

The stingetts wrapped up the performance with their feature. Which I feel was a solid routine definitely the 2nd best of the night.

Of corse the Honey Bees closed out the show with a routine to Birthday Cake that won the house as usual.

Overall ASU had a solid show. They did better than what I expected.

Tennessee State University:

I have to start by saying that their uniforms look great on the field. The drum majors opened up the show with a high energy routine that really got the crowd hype. My Way by Usher was nice. During this show I noticed that the color guard has really come a long way. They pretty much parallel BCU's guard. Kudos to them.

I loved the selection during the Oprah salute. That song reminded me of Vintage AoB. That beautiful dark sound.

Kudos to Sophisticated Ladies bussing 90's down the 50 yard line. They marched better than some of the Drum Majors from other bands there. I see they are working to merge their old style with the new. It will take some time but they are off to a good start.

The concert selection was okay. It actually sounded great. I just didn't get chills like I did in the past. Their Say Yes, I get So Lonely, He loves me :hall:

Overall a great show from TNSU. Keep it up!

Bethune Cookman University:

The Heavy weight champ woke me up a little. For several reasons.

For starters Mr. Wells allowing the band to start screaming. Which shocked me. I had to ask my friend if the drink he gave me had alcohol in it or wtf he put in it because I'm hearing screaming trumpets. He assured me that I wasn't drugged and that I was most definitely hearing trumpets screaming. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Not only are trumpets screaming he is allowing his brass to open up. Making them the loudest band there. They had no trouble filling up the stadium with their robust sound. I love that they are starting to throw their weight around. BCU has always been reserved and this is a small but welcome change. Reminds me of when FAMU was starting to getting "ignant" (in a good way) back in 2011.

The floating BCU and chant won the house and showed how much influence they have.

They did a picture drill and displayed a beautiful image of the Georgia Peach logo which isn't surprising since thats their forte their picture drills are unparalleled.

The 14k feature was nice. The ladies looked great. I loved the hair and black outfits. I was a little disappointed in the routine not because it was bad because it wasn't. Just expecting more.

Concert Selection: Seems like you're ready was nice as well. Them tubas had me grooving and the sophisticats in the back looked great in the back. I live for those ripples they do.

I like the picture drill of the money bag. Again BCU's forte.

Overall it was a great show. Seems BCU doesn't plan on giving up that #1 spot soon. The most consistent band in the past 20 years continues its legacy of excellence. The power they displayed has me hoping to see a Southern Vs BCU Matchup soon.

HBOB did well this year. This lineup restored its credibility in the band world for me. Some of the line ups in the past were straight garbage. This year I feel they got it right. Props to Alabama being the premier state for show style bands this year.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:08 pm 
Assistant Section Leader

I went to the Honda Battle of the Bands. I must say I was most impressed by the Old School/New School DJ battle. I was jamming :biggrin:
Seriously, I felt no band was bad. I will admit, I have been to better Honda shows but overall it was worth the money. Now I will admit, the venue has a lot of air and it will be difficult for smaller bands. If I was not facing Hampton, I don't think I would have heard them. It's remarkable how the spirit of the Force has returned! I wish the program much success.

I am just waiting to see what will be done since the Super Bowl is next year in Atlanta.
Favorites of the Night
Ballad-PV
Auxillary-Hampton/Honeybeez/Golden Delight
Entrance-Miles
Drill-Hampton
Dance Routine-NCAT
Overall show-Tennessee State