It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Today's Technology & Band History: What's the impact?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:20 am 
Drum Major

In 1996, I was a 29-year old Assistant Principal. I was also the halftime announcer for North Carolina A&T State University. That year was an awesome year for the BGMM. We ended the season with a visit to Florida A&M University where we received a standing ovation. I had heard FAMU in previous years, but I had never actually stood in front of them while they were in the stands. After the game, A&T and FAMU went back and forth and actually played a couple of tunes TOGETHER. The typical recording technology at that time could not capture what I heard that day. Man...standing in front of THAT FAMU...directed by WILLIAM P. FOSTER. You can't really capture that vibe. However, today's recording technology is EXTREMELY IMPRESSIVE. I love it. When I listen to YOUTUBE clips of some my favorite bands: A&T, SU, JSU, FAMU, Tenn. State, PVA&M, NSU, etc. THEY SOUND OUTSTANDING. But NO recording captured how great Ronald Sargent's Marching 101 was in the early 80s.

Do you think today's recording technology will change the way we view band history?

Hodge

Hodge