It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Full Small Stadium or Empty Huge Stadium: Better Impact
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:56 pm 
Drum Major

I know Bowl games are notorious for having small crowds during the holidays. But the EMPTY Mercedes stadium concerned me a bit. It that good for our HBCU image? I love seeing the Bayou Classic crowd every Thanksgiving. But that game has been around forever.

I remember when A&T vs. NCCU filled Carter Finley Stadium (NCSTATE) and A&T vs. WSSU filled Grove Stadium (Wake Forest). These are smaller venues. Should we take the Celebration Bowl to a smaller venue? I'm not sure even a FAMU vs. SU Celebration Bowl would fill a stadium the size of Mercedes. Perhaps I am wrong. Any constructive $$$ thoughts.

Hodge

Hodge

Post subject: Re: Full Small Stadium or Empty Huge Stadium: Better Impact
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:08 pm 
Assistant Section Leader

You might be right because some other folks on here talked about the sound quality of the stadium not being that good.

I would love to see it full too but the answers to all of our questions is money and I think these bowl games especially with the ESPN advertisements are pushing for the bigger venue.

I think we need people from other schools in each conference to help. Grambling folks are spending a lot of money going from the Bayou, to the SWAC championship and now the Celebration.

We need more from the rest of the MEAC and the SWAC and maybe have a battle of the bands at another spot?

Get financially active with your school alumni associations yall... WE ALL WE GOT

Building support for our schools through the marching experience.

http://themarchingpodcast.com/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:00 pm 
Assistant Section Leader

jkb9703 wrote:
You might be right because some other folks on here talked about the sound quality of the stadium not being that good.

I would love to see it full too but the answers to all of our questions is money and I think these bowl games especially with the ESPN advertisements are pushing for the bigger venue.

I think we need people from other schools in each conference to help. Grambling folks are spending a lot of money going from the Bayou, to the SWAC championship and now the Celebration.

We need more from the rest of the MEAC and the SWAC and maybe have a battle of the bands at another spot?

Get financially active with your school alumni associations yall... WE ALL WE GOT

Then GSU had graduation that day too 40+ had to graduate via Skype. Wonder why they did schedule it around that too. They had to choose bowl game or graduation.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:46 am 
Living Legend

I’m glad somebody finally brought this up.

FANBASE

Strictly from bandsman perspective I know folks were excited about changing out the Atlanta classic format to the bowl style format, but unfortunately HBCUs and non-HBCUs have some very clear differences. Schools like Georgia, Florida State, Alabama, etc. have a fan base that goes well beyond those who work at, attend, and graduate from the University. On average HBCUs do not have that luxury on such a large scale With a few exceptions. Most are rock stars in their communities.

CONVENIENCE

If you tell folks like me a week or two before a game that my university was chosen to compete, I’m not sure if I can grab the resources necessary on that short of a notice to fly off to some ball game. If I know well in advance what schools will participate I already know my school or a school that I like will be participating and I will likely get my tickets early. During the FAMU-Tennessee state era of the Atlanta football classic, I was sure to get my tickets in July on the first day they went on sale. I knew exactly what I would be getting. With the celebration bowl, I’m not sure who I will get because although it’s not politically correct to say, often the schools with the strongest football programs are not necessarily the schools with bands that I actually like. So with that kind of formula you end up thrusting the same two or three bands at me every year That I could honestly do without.

TURN-OUT REALITY

Let’s face it, turn out is actually excellent but the Atlanta Falcons can’t fill up their own 75,000 seat stadium and they are the hometown team. Side-note, Our brand new soccer team fills the thing up dang near to capacity. LOL. But the way they do it is through a lot of promotion and through lowering the ticket prices to a point where they accept less money from more people. Sometimes we do have to answer that question if we’d rather get a lot of money from one person or less money and have a larger crowd. The night that our soccer team broke the national soccer league record for attendance, my tickets were $20 apiece. I’m sure they could’ve done some arbitrary comparison about what others are able to charge, but they were realistic and looked at their own team and heir own fanbase and came up with the plan that gave us one of the most exciting nights I could remember in sports. We may need to try the 4 school, two-game format to maximize turnout. Or move over to Georgia State or Georgia Tech’s stadium with the two team one-game format. These types of games are so much more exciting for attendees when the crowds look as large as they actually are. I was totally bored watching the celebration bowl. Didn’t look at all like I should’ve been there.

Last edited by pbsstep1914 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:35 pm 
Drum Major

PBSStep1914,

GA Tech or GA State..... is actually a GREAT idea. Any of our schools could pack those venues...PLUS we could add a BOTB in the campus gym. Just a thought.

Hodge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:38 pm 

The only example I can think of is the most recent Celebration Bowl. While its a great idea in theory. I could care less about the schools that attended. No shade to GSU or NCAT but I get bored out of my mind when I think of the two and unfortunately I'm not the only one.

I own a home literally walking distance from the stadium and I still didn't bother to buy a ticket and I drove by the stadium twice getting something to eat and still wasn't compelled to go.

I think they should bring the Atlanta Classic back. Southern VS BCU. I low key want to see BCU forced out of their comfort zone. Southern would definitely be the band to do it.

Schools with massive followings will have massive turnouts regardless of where its held.

FAMU VS Southern :hall: in the last Relevant ATLClassic had a massive turnout because both schools have big following. Its simple...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:07 pm 
Living Legend

The Voice wrote:
PBSStep1914,

GA Tech or GA State..... is actually a GREAT idea. Any of our schools could pack those venues...PLUS we could add a BOTB in the campus gym. Just a thought.

Dang yea!!! Now that’s something I would DEFINELY attend! It would also give the students from Georgia schools something interesting to attend as well. If it is on their campus they are more likely to attend.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:14 pm 
Living Legend

supervillaindw wrote:
The only example I can think of is the most recent Celebration Bowl. While its a great idea in theory. I could care less about the schools that attended. No shade to GSU or NCAT but I get bored out of my mind when I think of the two and unfortunately I'm not the only one.

I own a home literally walking distance from the stadium and I still didn't bother to buy a ticket and I drove by the stadium twice getting something to eat and still wasn't compelled to go.

I think they should bring the Atlanta Classic back. Southern VS BCU. I low key want to see BCU forced out of their comfort zone. Southern would definitely be the band to do it.

Schools with massive followings will have massive turnouts regardless of where its held.

FAMU VS Southern :hall: in the last Relevant ATLClassic had a massive turnout because both schools have big following. Its simple...

Mannn I fell asleep halway through the commercial when i heard what schools would be there. ATL Classic with Cookman and Southern- I’m there EVERY year for that! So far I have attended exactly 0 celebration bowls. And I have probably missed a total of zero HBCU games in Atlanta outside of that. I missed zero Atlanta football classics, Even though I have to be forced to attend the year when it was A&T and South Carolina state. If the winners were but don’t Cookman and Jackson State, I would’ve gotten my take is the day they went on sale. LOL.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:01 pm 
Drum Major

I completely understand where you are coming from. BCU and Southern would be a great match.

Hodge

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:08 pm 
Drum Major

I completely understand where you are coming from. BCU and Southern would be a great match.

Hodge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:02 pm 
Band-a-holic

The size of the stadium or lack of fans at the recent Celebration Bowl are not a big deal...at least not to the game sponsor...ESPN! This was a "made for TV" game that was created by ESPN just to get a TV audience. And so far, they have gotten an audience. In fact, there were more people watching the Celebration game than any of the other games that day. As for the stadium crowd, it was the second largest bowl audience that day.

Reality Check- there are 40 + bowls played over the Christmas and New Years holidays and most are played in front of half empty stadiums to smaller TV audiences. The Celebration Bowl is in the upper third of those games based on ticket sales and TV audience. There are 3 more years left on the Celebration Bowl contract and I doubt it will be yanked before the contract expires.

Now for the real bad news...for us bandheads, the Mercedes Benz Arena sucks for marching bands. I thought the acoustics in the Georgia Dome were bad but this new arena is just god-awful! It was so bad that I decided not to attend this year's Honda Battle of the Bands. I know they will have giant speakers at the Honda to cover up for the bad acoustics but why spend all that money for amplified band music? I can wait to hear the bands later on YouTube.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:10 am 
Band Fan

That A&T crowd wasn't too bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOo6WRd9SLs&t=41s

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:18 am 
Drum Major

I think MarchingBand1969 is right. After looking at most of the other bowl games, there were LOTS of games with relatively small crowds.

Loved that hype TBrass. A&T all the way.

Hodge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:25 am 
Band-a-holic

Hey I'm just going to lay this out here and hope you guys don't punish me too much...The Celebration Bowl is a "made for TV" special event created by ESPN to get sponsorship dollars. They want "some" stadium crowd to help hook the general fans at home watching the the games in hope that they will stick around. But bottom line, ESPN is after more "eyes" on the screens (and ads) than butts in the seats.

For three years I've heard MEAC and SWAC fans worrying over the "size of the crowds" at the Celebration Bowl. And every year these fans spend lots of time and energy blaming folks for the turnout...the participating schools, the non-participating schools, Atlanta Black folks, Black folks in General, the Conferences, the Conference's Commissioners, the Christmas Holidays, the economy, Black poverty, etc...

If you talk with the fans (White folks) of the other 40 plus bowl games held during that time they will tell you about how exciting the game was and how much fun they had in the host city. They will ramble on about the game and what wild things the boosters did. But they will not mention the size of the game crowd! They care more about the fun they had and the size of the payout check to their school than about the "size of the crowd!" So what's the difference? Well here's my non-scientific opinion:

1. As Black folks, we rarely get this type of opportunity to showcase our institutions on a stage this big and we want to "represent" well. We believe that a half-empty stadium will give the fans at home the impression that our sports programs are not good. We think the TV audience will say "Wow them Black schools have a bowl game and nobody showed up to watch them play...they must not be any good!"

2. As Black folks, we know that eventually ESPN will drop the Celebration Bowl and we want to take away their excuse that we didn't support the game. We feel if there's a sellout crowd at the game, ESPN will be obligated to continue sponsoring the game.

Hey folks, if you want to worry about something, how about spending time figuring out how to get more of our fans to sell out all our home football games... or how to fund the football team (and band) without student fees or massive alumni support.

Stop worrying about ESPN's money, they will be just fine.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:34 am 
Band-a-holic

marchingband1969 wrote:
The size of the stadium or lack of fans at the recent Celebration Bowl are not a big deal...at least not to the game sponsor...ESPN! This was a "made for TV" game that was created by ESPN just to get a TV audience. And so far, they have gotten an audience. In fact, there were more people watching the Celebration game than any of the other games that day. As for the stadium crowd, it was the second largest bowl audience that day.

Reality Check- there are 40 + bowls played over the Christmas and New Years holidays and most are played in front of half empty stadiums to smaller TV audiences. The Celebration Bowl is in the upper third of those games based on ticket sales and TV audience. There are 3 more years left on the Celebration Bowl contract and I doubt it will be yanked before the contract expires.

Now for the real bad news...for us bandheads, the Mercedes Benz Arena sucks for marching bands. I thought the acoustics in the Georgia Dome were bad but this new arena is just god-awful! It was so bad that I decided not to attend this year's Honda Battle of the Bands. I know they will have giant speakers at the Honda to cover up for the bad acoustics but why spend all that money for amplified band music? I can wait to hear the bands later on YouTube.

Amen Brother! I went to the Celebration Bowl too and made that same decision about the Honda Battle of the Bands.