It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: NSU Almuni Spartan Legion
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:43 pm 
Assistant Section Leader

Y'all know the drill and for those of you who don't hit me up and I'll give you the site so you can get up to speed on everything.

Post subject: Re: NSU Almuni Spartan Legion
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:08 pm 
Assistant Section Leader

Can I just say hi?? :wave:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:26 am 
Band Fan

HI Jazzy FAY! I just wanted to say I wish Gigsteve would have done that Honda Battle of the Bands DVD because I was SOOoo pissed when I waited 3 months to receive mine and all I saw was one clip from each school and then 3 from BCC or is it now BCU? I hope next year they capture a better essence of the show

M.O.T.S.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:01 am 
Band Fan

Hey man! I heard them Spartans this year and they ain't nothing to be played with. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:37 pm 
Band Fan

October 27, 2007 Party in the Rat Trap with an after party on the Third floor featuring James Miller's Moma and Josiah the original Joe Camel!!!!! :cool:

United We Stand Divided We Fall............................................ :pimp:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:35 am 
Assistant Section Leader

You a fool sir, you need to get at me ASAP about homecoming this year

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:10 pm 

:lol: :lol:

"Let the heavens resound to their magnificent sound, and let every musical measure be a SOURCE of auditory pleasure." - Mr. Staten

BEHOLD!!

For future reference, SAXMANIAC is 100% WOMAN.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:45 pm 
Assistant Section Leader

Billy you are so retarded....I hope you actually make it back here for HC this year!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:28 pm 
Band Fan

:lol: Count me in. See ya Oct. 5th at the practice field

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:39 am 
Assistant Section Leader

Practice field? Oh I ain't say all of that :lol: :lol: I'm too old and fat for all of that but I will definitely be out to support :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:47 am 
Band Fan

To friend and foe alike,
Within the sound of my voice,
Lend ear to what I say here,
BEHOLD The Spartan Legion
As they pass by in review.
They sound the call to battle!!!!!
The challange has been accepted by a few,
Because the oncoming VICTORY has been fortold!!!!
Ladies and Gentlemen...
BEHOLD BEHOLD
The Mighty
GREEN And GOLD!!!!

Do you guys still get that chill up and down your back when you here the begininng of this, then the horns rip, the crowd screaming BEHOLD and the first note sounding off!!!! WHEW

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:31 pm 

Balou93 wrote:
To friend and foe alike,
Within the sound of my voice,
Lend ear to what I say here,
BEHOLD The Spartan Legion
As they pass by in review.
They sound the call to battle!!!!!
The challange has been accepted by a few,
Because the oncoming VICTORY has been fortold!!!!
Ladies and Gentlemen...
BEHOLD BEHOLD
The Mighty
GREEN And GOLD!!!!

Do you guys still get that chill up and down your back when you here the begininng of this, then the horns rip, the crowd screaming BEHOLD and the first note sounding off!!!! WHEW

Man the football team has been so bad over the last few years that almost no one is in the stadium when the Legion enters. The new stadium doesn't have the "cozy" feel that Foreman Field had also. Yall remember when the visiting band would not enter until AFTER we played Behold for the pass in review because it was intimidating as hell! I noticed that trend of the bands not being in the stadium after my second year

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:43 pm 
Band Fan

Yes most def. I remember that. I remember a PRE-GAME show for every home game. Fight Song ( Floating N) Star Spangled Banner, Alma Mater and sometimes I'm so glad. Lets not forget MD playing 50 cent coming off the field. I also remember a parade, pre-game, half-time and post game show for homecoming and plenty of "spirits" in parking lot 14. :hall:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:08 am 
Band Fan

Do I ever remember the homecoming routine!!! It started at about 7 in the morning and ended at 7 that night almost!!! Let us not forget the long day we had during Band Day either. Two freaking shows and dance routines. I would not change anything about my time in The Legion for anything!!! Do anyone remember the night we cued the lighting storm?!?! When Kevin Wallace was yelling I love this sh*t during the downpour. While everyone was running for cover, we played the darn thing THEN marched into the stands and STAYED for a good minute before we went to the bus. I remember instead of writing about the footballl team in the sport page dude wrote about US playing and marching in the rain. My spats turned green. LMAO. Let us not forget Mr. Staten and his woman Stella!! I must say this and I don't care who gets mad. Even though I marched in 93-95, I thing the band was at its best during the 80's. We are talking about a band with the oldest uniforms in the game that were held together with pins and needles. It did not matter to them how they looked. They were the highest stepping, dancing, playing band to ever grace the field. They were not that well known on the grand stage at times but THEIR marching excellence and musicianship is why The Legion is what it is today. So to those who marched during that time I tip my hat to you. Because of you I got into music and never regretted it. BEHOLD!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:09 am 
Band Fan

Thanks man I was apart of that late 80's era. Yes I remember the parting of the Red Sea during pre-game that year. We kicked it up another knotch when the rain began. I must say that I wouldn't change a thing about my experience in the Legion either. I had some wonderful experiences and met some wonderful people in the process. It does my heart good to see the current band doing as well as they are doing. It took the hard work of numerous people before I marched to set the standard in the Legion. The 80's bands took it to another level and it has been growing and strengthening every since. I know and understand that band has changed from the days of old when you were in the band because you lived, breathed and ate it. We didn't have all the scholarships and exposure that is available today. We were there because it was in our hearts. My motto has and always been, If you don't work hard to get something you really don't appreciate it when you get it. and If you don't put anything into it, you will not get anything out of it. So hats off to the history of a great program. Hats off to all the peeps who marched at Bouie with Jeans and T-shirts, Hats off to all the peeps who marched a hole in their uniforms each week and had a sewing party mending them for the next performance. Hats off to all the peeps who swept the practice field during 98 degree weather until there was no grass on the field. Hats off to all the peeps who represented the Marching Spartan Legion at the Sweet Pea Whitaker Fights at the scope, Atlantic City and Hampton Coliseum. Hats off to all the peeps who got joked by Kevin Deez with Tiny Bubble Jokes. Hats off to the Friday evening Jam sessions the band had after marching in from Friday's practice. Hats off to all the peeps who understands what Hell Week Was. Hats off to all the peeps who strutted from INSIDE A&T's aduitorium, outside and onto our buses when we played A&T. Hats off to all the peeps that SMELLED THE FUMES and Ran around parking lot 14 in dress shoes and high heels for being late to the band room before a trip. Hats off to all the peeps who Marched under the direction of the greatest band director of all time. MR. Emory Fears! :hall:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:03 pm 

HOMECOMING!!! Oh my goodness!! Balou93 I remember how long that homecoming day was!!! The parade, then the box lunches in the park, pass and review, the pre-game show, the halftime show ("Isn't She Lovely" over and over and over again), the post game show, marching back to the buses, MDFS blocking in the parking lot, then finally back to campus and hanging out in the Rat Trap for some, ahem, homecoming libations! :biggrin:

I remember the first time we made the NSU formation on the field...I was at the tip of the "N". The crowd went nuts!!! Oh, and we weren't allowed to walk around with just HALF our uniform on. If you were going to the store before the game you better put on jeans and a t-shirt. No walking around with your uniform pants on. And I remember practicing in combat boots! :surprised:

"Dr. Feel Good" was one of the drum majors my freshman year. You know, there were days when I wondered if all this sweat, and hard work, and being yelled at by vets was worth it. "Dr. Feel Good" always managed to get us hype. I thought about all he must have gone through just to make it through a game....he inspired me for the next 3 years.
:angel:

I regret that we didn't have KKPsi or TBS while I was there. :sad:

Spartan Legion 80 - 84

"Let the heavens resound to their magnificent sound, and let every musical measure be a SOURCE of auditory pleasure." - Mr. Staten

BEHOLD!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:54 am 
Assistant Section Leader

Strangely enough some of this is beginning to bring back some very fond and funny memories. Folks, the fact that we've marched in different era's is why we have the alumni band organization. There are some Horny Horns that I would have loved to have marched with both before and after my tenure in the band. So, y'all bring it out for homecoming, get financial and let's do this thing again. We could be having this conversation on another level, in person and much more intensely. But until then I'd like to add a few hats off:

Hats off to those who MARCHED to and from the band room.
Hats off to marching the tour of campus before ever stepping a foot on the practice field.

Hats off to running around the library and marching up behind Echols.
Hats off to getting the "y'all ain't done shat" Walker speech.
Hats off to losing your hat on the field from dancing too hard or just from being in the plume nation.

Hats off to the one cup of gatorade nation
Hats off for having "Message" sped up on you because the other band took up too much time
Hats off if you marched in one of the first incarnations of the band while James Miller was there... :lol:

As I am sure, some other supposedly more publicized bands have their memories, but there is nothing like being a SPARTAN.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:33 am 

Whoa...."Running in high heels and dress shoes around lot 14" LOL!!!! Man I remember those days!! :rotfl: You'd be all sweaty in your dress clothes!! LOL! I NEVER ran before an away trip, I was ALWAYS on time.

I remember we left a person that shall remain nameless in the parking lot of Mc Donalds outside of Philadelphia, PA in 1987 for the 200th anniversary of the Constitution parade. We were on the interstate and someone said "Hey we left somebody!!!" and all you could see was someone in green and gold uniform in the parking lot looking around for the buses! :lol: Turns out that fool was on my bus!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:53 am 

Hats off to MDFS!!! PAST and PRESENT!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

BEHOLD!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:51 am 
Band Fan

Hats off to everyone who remembers " I'm tired and my feet hurt" :rotfl:
Hats off to those who didnt have Cheif throw their instrument out of the bandroom door!
Hats off to those who remembers people having to run around foreman field DURING a game!
Hats off to MD blocking in front of twin towers after a home game at foreman field.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:31 pm 
Band Fan

Hats off to Mr. Emory L. Fears who while directing the finest band in the land had time to come to my high school to tutor us on concert music. Hats off to Mr. Alzie Francis Walker Jr. for keeping The Legion entact after Mr Fears retired. He made a promise to all those who stayed in the band and he kept it. Hats off to all the section leaders, captains, and drum majors that kept us in line. And a BIG hats off to the Million Dollar Funk Squad for keeping the tempo tight and the rhythm funky!!!
Who remember this famous quote from 93 Summer Camp-"First we going to do the show. Then we gonna do the show. After that, we gonna do the show. And after that we had planned on doing the show!!!". Well Playground I am a Horny Horn. I marched in 93-95 and had the time of my life!!! The life of a Horny Horn is AWSOME!!! LOL. My section leaders were Cory "Big Slim" Ball and William "Sport" Blackwell. 93 was the year that we took over the band. I have not had the time to join the alumni band but I think it is time to start making time. I heard Ed Boffman is marching. It was my freshman year that we made up Trom Phi Bone because we were tired of hearing the calls of the other frats being called in the band room. That was fun and I hope it is still going on today. Have not been up there to find out. I will be at homecoming this year to see my beloved Legion do their thing. Hope to see you there. One more thing, James miller marched with me in 93!!! How many years did old boy march?? Better yet how old is Miller??? LOL. All I can say about the tempo for Message was I was glad Hot Ice was dancing because I had to catch my breath!!!!

How many people remember The Death March?
How many people remember when a MDFS member rolled over his bassdrum at Virginia Union?
How many people remember this- "What colors do you see?" "What's the KEY?" What's the WORD?"
How many people remember their very first dance routine?
How many people remember what MDFS bus was called?
What bus had this song going- Back of the bus is x-rated!!!
Who can name the dance instructor for Hot Ice??? LOL

Behold!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:54 pm 
Band Fan

I remember all that. And the answer to the last question is Inez Longhorn Howard. She is still working with the lovely ladies of HOT ICE and doing an awesome job. Not sure about Marching Homecoming this year but I will be there with libation in hand. Up 2 .....8

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:32 pm 
Band Fan

Well my first dance routine was "Oh Sheila".
Well my hats off to Egypt. Hats off to the past and current Horny Horns for still playing Night in Tunisia and Head to the Sky :biggrin: .
Hats off to all the music transcribers B.F. (Before Finale)
Hats off to bus two for the grub
Hats off to Grambling for proving that a 95 piece band can sound better than them
Hats off to Friday's hypefest
Hats off to the inventor of the safety pin
Hats off to Gunsmoke
Hats off to all participants of the real Band Brawl @ NCCU :wink:
Hats off to everyone who had to run laps in their suits and heels
Hats off to Sweet Pea Whitaker for the exposure
Hats off to Emery L. Fears for Symphonic Wind Ensemble
Hats off to those who never smelled the fumes.
Hats off to the 1987 Legion-probably the best ever
And to James Miller who provided inspiration for the many, many, many, many H. Horns who marched with him

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:08 pm 
Band Fan

Linny thank you for the Bible of fanfares Head To The Sky is now a standard.

Balou I marched from 95 to 2000 Miller came back to march 98,99, and in 2000 Dr. Sanford told him he could not march anymore. I believe Miller was Linny's Rookie Brother in '85.

By the way Trom Phi Bone is still intact and very much alive.
Trom Phi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Horny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pimp:

Jame Miller (Air Borne) :hall:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:03 am 
Assistant Section Leader

Though I don't want to make this another "Who marched with James Miller?" thread, I will say this: The man had heart, though he may not have had much else to do with himself after that. I remember trying to work with him on some stuff and he could be downright silly. Now that I am older and much, much, wiser. I believe Mr. Miller was probably suffering from someones nom de plume "dyslexia" or ADHD. James took a lot of abuse while he was in the Legion and probably unbeknownst to him he also received a lot of love there which is probab;y why he kept coming back. But if I was him, after enduring ALL OF Y'ALL I would never want to see the Legion again, glad I ain't him.

yeah I remember the Hot Ice dancer, who shall remain nameless getting up and cussing the band out "Why don't y'all just stop B*tchin because I'm tired and my feet...hurt"

I also remember hearing about some else getting left this was after me though "LALA anybody seen LALA!.....MR. WALKER WE LEFT LALA!" :lol:

My first dance routine was "Every Little Step I Take" I hated Bobby Brown that year.. :mad:

For years after I left NSU as a band director I sent students their all the time. Now some of those young men and women are about to participate in the alumni band. I can't imagine performing beside former students I might have flashbacks.. :lol: And everyone could tell you I was such the push over as a director :angel: