It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Job
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:25 pm 
Band Fan

When you are a band director, we all know that you may have a job that you will never leave. However, there are those jobs that the thought of leaving crosses your mind quite frequently. I am seeking advice from those who have experienced this. How exactly do you know when it's time to leave? Should the administrators influence this decision? Should students influence this decision?

Hk Chapter of Kappa KAppa Psi

Post subject: Re: New Job
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:30 pm 

Ehhhh..........sigh.........LOL. I feel your pain, although not a director myself. How long have you been in custody of this position, or does it have custody of you? Generally, although you must love and engage your kids no matter what, they cannot dictate your financial and psychological future. There are many factors that lead to a good or bad job, and "staying for the kids" is only a small part. ALL the kids need us, right? :oops:

The number one factor in most of my director friends' liking and retaining their jobs is their boss. If you have a good principal who supports you, helps you to form a schedule that fits your needs, and lets you kick the bums out of your class with no hassle, you had BEST keep that in the forefront of your mind. This is hard to come by, especially as an arts and extra-curricular teacher. If you don't feel you have his or her support, start thinking about a new school.

Parents can be important if you are doing marching band. What are your boosters like, how do they help, does their version of help consist of trying to do your job, or trying to force you to do things their way? If your boosters aren't boosting you, start fresh. There is nothing worse than a bunch of parents who have so many opinions on the things that you do, but when it comes time for a meeting, no one is to be found. I would consider even doing without an offical booster blub, and using only the parents who are there to BOOST you. You have to be the butthole to accomplish this, but maybe those parents' children weren't mean to be in your program, anyway. It takes a few years for this to take hold, so be patient. Don't expect a month's turnaround.

The way I see it, kids are kids. They're all the same needy, arrogant, sweet little jerks no matter what school you go to. You become attached, but if the scenery is acidic, you can't stay around to raise someone else's chaps. You must be objective.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:53 am 

:hall: Kym,

I wish I had this advice last year this time...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:59 pm 

Great advice, Kym! :thumbsup:

...I'm on that "will you please kick these (fargin) bums out" stuff now. :thumbsdown:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:24 pm 
Band Fan

To piggy back on Kym's statements,

If you are getting the support from administration stay. If not leave unless you know that administration postions will be changing personale soon. If it's the kids just give it time. If you model the type of behavior you want your students to possess and hold them to high standards, you will attract the students you desire.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:42 pm 
Assistant Section Leader

^^^exactly. A raise in pay can't compare to working with a level-headed art-supporting administrator.

I never wanted to leave Detroit Cody HS. However, this terrible economy forced many of my friends and myself out of Detroit Public Schools. I still kind feel like I didn't "finish" the job. Inicidently, the program there is still closed.

Now I'm in Kansas teaching and I have a better admin. than what I had in Detroit. I'll leave when the album goes Gold.

Director of Bands
Morehouse College
"The House of Funk: Funkiest Show on Earth!"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:01 am 
Band Fan

This is a good one. Kym, I like your response to that. I am entering my 3rd year of teaching music grades 5-12 and I have had that everlasting thought of leaving my position to move to another school and what not. Its a matter of personal decision and choice which will determine if I stay, yet another year. However, many factors such as administration, parental/student involvment, etc... which help influence my decision. It's always hard for arts-based curriculae to function and flourish in any academically inclined district.

Lambda Theta
Spring '05 #7
AEA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:46 am 
Living Legend

Wonderful advice.

Praying on it is even better. :angel: