It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Forced Housed Arrest / Quarantine
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:42 pm 
Head Arranger

The moment a government puts you in house arrest without PROOF that you're of danger to the larger community, that government is infringing on your individual rights that millions have fought and died for. If a nurse can be put in house arrest because OTHERS are AFRAID of her WITHOUT any logical reason other than "fear," what will stop that same government from arresting persons that others find "frightening?" To some, black men are frightening. To some, Latino men are frightening. To some, persons with HIV and AIDS are frightening. To some, Muslims are frightening.

Think about it.

Post subject: Re: Forced Housed Arrest / Quarantine
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:46 am 
Head Drum Major

Yup. The good ole tactic of using "fear" to wipe away any rights. Sadly, folks will gladly defend it with their narrow-mindedness

Follow me on Twitter @jazzymag17

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:03 am 
Living Legend

:free:

Everybody believes *something* about God. That's all theology is. The question is...is what you believe about God TRUE?
BLU PHI!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:17 pm 
Living Legend

BlackCalvinist wrote:
:free:

I really want to hear your thoughts...

Personally, I think they should have stopped all flights. Sent in cutting edge meds to Africa to educate themselves on the virus in order to combat the threat. Then fly them back.

Both trips on private planes with no one else on board. Before and after the trip they should be properly checked for ANY diseases before they go ANYWHERE.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:22 am 

Let a kid that's possibly infected with ebola go to your kid's school and they let him keep showing up without knowing if he has it or not and see how quick you keep your kids at home. It's all fun and games until it has a direct effect on you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:13 pm 
Band-a-holic

unknown3 wrote:
Let a kid that's possibly infected with ebola go to your kid's school and they let him keep showing up without knowing if he has it or not and see how quick you keep your kids at home. It's all fun and games until it has a direct effect on you.

Because the doctor in New York that unknowingly had it spread it all over the city, right? Ebola's such a big deal in Africa because of a combination of poverty and stupidity.

The fact is it's NOT really that contagious, especially if you use good common sense. Notice that everybody that's gotten it in the US has been a health care worker, and in extended contact with very sick patients?

Not that it's that much of an issue anyway - once you get past the panic and look at what's really happening, you'll see that Ebola in the US is about as deadly as the Great Hedgehog Pandemic of 2013.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:31 am 
Head Drum Major

Scare tactics so that folks can get to take away rights & the public will openly allow it.......then complain years later

Follow me on Twitter @jazzymag17

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:14 pm 

You can get technical all you want, but if there's even the slightest chance we both know BLEEP well you're not just going to be peachy with someone that possibly has a virus with a 70% kill rate chillin around your kids....or you either. Call it a scare tactic, call it what you want but I know I BLEEP sure wouldn't. And if it started spreading from them not taking enough precaution these same folks would be the first ones talking about how they didn't do enough to stop it. Just can't win with some folk. :lol: And please stop with the scare tactics bit.

We're talking about a virus here with a BLEEP 70% kill rate. I don't think anyone needs a "tactic" to fear that. We're not talking about the terror alert level here, we're talking about a virus that can go up to 3 weeks undetected before it even becomes communicable. I'm all for them doing their job on this one... if you don't think it's that big of a deal go on over there and volunteer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:01 pm 
Band-a-holic

unknown3 wrote:
You can get technical all you want, but if there's even the slightest chance we both know BLEEP well you're not just going to be peachy with someone that possibly has a virus with a 70% kill rate chillin around your kids....or you either. Call it a scare tactic, call it what you want but I know I BLEEP sure wouldn't. And if it started spreading from them not taking enough precaution these same folks would be the first ones talking about how they didn't do enough to stop it. Just can't win with some folk. :lol: And please stop with the scare tactics bit.

We're talking about a virus here with a BLEEP 70% kill rate. I don't think anyone needs a "tactic" to fear that. We're not talking about the terror alert level here, we're talking about a virus that can go up to 3 weeks undetected before it even becomes communicable. I'm all for them doing their job on this one... if you don't think it's that big of a deal go on over there and volunteer.

Are we still talking about Ebola? There have been 9 cases in the US, and 1 of them died. Nowhere near a 70% kill rate. Of course the death rate is a lot higher if you're getting treated out of a hut in Liberia, but that's my point. And what's the problem with being around somebody with a virus that you just agreed was not communicable? The only 2 people that have gotten Ebola in the US got it from working with a man that was literally on his death bed.

I'm all for common sense - if you're coughing, throwing up, got a fever - don't come anywhere near me or mine. But we're talking about healthy feeling medically trained people with the good sense to know when something's up. How is this NOT a scare tactic? Haven't we had enough security theater?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:06 pm 
Living Legend

The fact still remains that if they were proactive in keeping ebola out of America, we wouldn't be having this conversation. When the outbreak occured, I would of had medical teams working around the clock to set up a plan just in case it hit the mainland.

From what I can gather, other countries in Europe and Canada have barred flights to and from that area in Africa...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:17 am 

Krash Dummy wrote:
unknown3 wrote:

Are we still talking about Ebola? There have been 9 cases in the US, and 1 of them died. Nowhere near a 70% kill rate. Of course the death rate is a lot higher if you're getting treated out of a hut in Liberia, but that's my point. And what's the problem with being around somebody with a virus that you just agreed was not communicable? The only 2 people that have gotten Ebola in the US got it from working with a man that was literally on his death bed.

I'm all for common sense - if you're coughing, throwing up, got a fever - don't come anywhere near me or mine. But we're talking about healthy feeling medically trained people with the good sense to know when something's up. How is this NOT a scare tactic? Haven't we had enough security theater?

Uh, that's kinda the point. There have only been 9 cases because they kept the POTENTIAL people that had it isolated. If you don't mind people that potentially have it roaming around unchecked then hey, that's your perogative. Personally, I don't. And the whole "scare tactic" thing i'm not even going to bother with. Some folks look for a conspiracy in everything. As I said before, for those that don't seem to think it's a big deal go on over there and volunteer. I guess they should just let people that have been exposed roam around until they start showing signs that they're infected. This seems to be the type of logic people are using. And also, the reason why the kill rate ISN'T higher here is because once again, the people that were exposed were kept isolated and given treatment directly after being exposed to it. Not told to go ahead and go home and if you show signs in a few weeks come back. *face palm*

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:57 pm 
Band-a-holic

unknown3 wrote:
Uh, that's kinda the point. There have only been 9 cases because they kept the POTENTIAL people that had it isolated. If you don't mind people that potentially have it roaming around unchecked then hey, that's your perogative. Personally, I don't. And the whole "scare tactic" thing i'm not even going to bother with. Some folks look for a conspiracy in everything. As I said before, for those that don't seem to think it's a big deal go on over there and volunteer. I guess they should just let people that have been exposed roam around until they start showing signs that they're infected. This seems to be the type of logic people are using. And also, the reason why the kill rate ISN'T higher here is because once again, the people that were exposed were kept isolated and given treatment directly after being exposed to it. Not told to go ahead and go home and if you show signs in a few weeks come back. *face palm*

Who are you considering potential people? The only people I'm aware of that were isolated were the people sharing a household with somebody showing symptoms (makes perfect sense to me) and a couple of doctors that worked overseas (which is what this thread was about, and doesn't make sense to me). There are ton of doctors who worked overseas, weren't isolated on their return, and never infected anybody. There were at least 4 unisolated, infected people (Liberian, his 2 doctors, and the ny doctor) that wandered around until they showed symptoms, were THEN isolated (again, makes sense) and didn't infect anybody. The only people that actually contracted the disease were working day in and day out right on top of an infected guy that was on death's door.

So if we've got lots of people returning from overseas that haven't infected anybody, a few infected but asymptomatic people walking around that haven't infected anybody, and a few doctors infected by deathly ill patients that were ALREADY isolated, and already have a policy of isolating the only kind of people who have been known to be contagious (those showing symptoms) and monitoring those they've been in direct contact with, what's this proposed policy of isolating everybody that's been to west africa supposed to solve?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:11 am 

I honestly don't know how to make the logic anymore simple than I already have. At this point i'm not even sure what you're arguing. :handicap: