It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Where has everyone gone?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:42 pm 
Band Fan

Just wondering.....

Post subject: Re: Where has everyone gone?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:25 pm 
Drum Major

I know! Seems like this site has been falling off the radar :sad:

Especially after the band season is over....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:00 pm 
Head Arranger

Aliens? :lol:

No. I just find that when you have lackluster seasons, conversation is at a minimum. Look at what happened when Dilligent posted about the swac, trying to give em credit.

Folk may not want to admit it but bands are not doing as well as we'd like. It's just not as interesting as it use to be.

But you also have to consider that more and more ways to communicate online are choking out the oldstyle discussion forums. You are ptobably connected to more folk on other sites than this one. So by the time something is posted here, that discussion may have already taken place on three other sites.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:33 pm 
Director

SP,

As convenient of a reason as "lackluster seasons" may seem, I pretty sure that has very little to do with the what I call the "exodus of the online forum".

And I say this in love, but the 5th has to reinvent itself in some other form. Social Media is the culprit. 10 years ago, we had no other online networks to come and talk abot bands as we pleased. Now? with FB and Twitter and youtube, you can say what you have to say much more quickly than it takes to "create a thread" or "comment". People arent on there computers as much as they're on there phone and this site has not made an adjustment to be mobile freindly.

I've NEVER seen this site like it is. Even during the season it is much more quiet than it's ever been. But it's not because people aren't talking or that bands are under producing, it's simply that there are many more options to talk band than an online forum. And to be honest the "forum model" that was once widley popular is nearly obsolete.

Marching band is as popular as it's ever been (There was no HBOTB in the 80's & 90's). I think programs are performing at high levels but we're over exposed to it (which is another issue) so it doesnt seems like programs arent as good as they are. Now I dont have any scientific data on any of this but i'm a marketing guy and I tend to look at odd trends and this was one I saw coming from a mile away. No one can compete with the age of social media, it's taken over our lives.

#GoMagic
#GoGators
#GoRays

Twitter: @Stevo_Supremo
IG: @sholmesjr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:03 pm 
Assistant Director

impactology08 wrote:
SP,

As convenient of a reason as "lackluster seasons" may seem, I pretty sure that has very little to do with the what I call the "exodus of the online forum".

And I say this in love, but the 5th has to reinvent itself in some other form. Social Media is the culprit. 10 years ago, we had no other online networks to come and talk abot bands as we pleased. Now? with FB and Twitter and youtube, you can say what you have to say much more quickly than it takes to "create a thread" or "comment". People arent on there computers as much as they're on there phone and this site has not made an adjustment to be mobile freindly.

I've NEVER seen this site like it is. Even during the season it is much more quiet than it's ever been. But it's not because people aren't talking or that bands are under producing, it's simply that there are many more options to talk band than an online forum. And to be honest the "forum model" that was once widley popular is nearly obsolete.

Marching band is as popular as it's ever been (There was no HBOTB in the 80's & 90's). I think programs are performing at high levels but we're over exposed to it (which is another issue) so it doesnt seems like programs arent as good as they are. Now I dont have any scientific data on any of this but i'm a marketing guy and I tend to look at odd trends and this was one I saw coming from a mile away. No one can compete with the age of social media, it's taken over our lives.

I definitely agree!

Phi Mu Alpha
Spr. 2K7 The S.D.S.O.S.
#4 Terminator
SLIBFS!!!

Kappa Kappa Psi
Spr. 2K10 AKTion SquAd
#4 G.I. Joe
AEA!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:14 pm 
Living Legend

The issue here is that everyone wants to go to the uncut sites and be as ignorant as possible with no repercussions. There is no new blood coming in because no one wants to have to explain themselves or actually have a educated conversation. The people here are friends, family, heck a married couple actually met on this site.

Get 10 random folk from the uncut sites and throw them in a Skybox and compare that to 10 folk from the 5th in a Skybox.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:00 pm 

This site is dated it needs a complete overhaul...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:00 pm 
Director

Yeah....it's like this in here all year round now:

Simple Truth #133:

Want to fully maximize your iPod? Listen to your ENTIRE LIBRARY on random at all times for a week or so. Thank me later.

Kicking a$$, taking names, and burning the list...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:07 am 
Living Legend

supervillaindw wrote:

No... These new cats check this site out looking for ignorance, find very little and move on.

The regulars have gotten older and posting on here has fallen in the list of priorities.

Perhaps a mobile version of the 5th....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:24 pm 
Assistant Director

I can definitely see this site move somewhat towards being a repository for our craft, more so than just conversation. Something like people coming to post flyers/dates/locations of concert band performances, roundtable discussions, the sharing and educated critique of videos of marching and concert band performances. Of course, there's a lot of things technology-wise that needs to be updated as well. But I do agree that the younger folk are on those few uncut FB groups cutting a fool. They, from time to time, discuss things that are worth reading learning from.

Phi Mu Alpha
Spr. 2K7 The S.D.S.O.S.
#4 Terminator
SLIBFS!!!

Kappa Kappa Psi
Spr. 2K10 AKTion SquAd
#4 G.I. Joe
AEA!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:51 pm 
Section Leader

SP100 wrote:
Aliens? :lol:

No. I just find that when you have lackluster seasons, conversation is at a minimum. Look at what happened when Dilligent posted about the swac, trying to give em credit.

Folk may not want to admit it but bands are not doing as well as we'd like. It's just not as interesting as it use to be.

But you also have to consider that more and more ways to communicate online are choking out the oldstyle discussion forums. You are ptobably connected to more folk on other sites than this one. So by the time something is posted here, that discussion may have already taken place on three other sites.

This....and its been this way for my band for a good while now....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:35 pm 

Been watching this happen slowly over a long long time. Multiple reasons are at play. But one thing I noticed was that nobody wanted to let the young bucks come in and argue about who had the best bands etc. We all came in and did it in the late 90's, got tired of it and then started blasting the new bloods when they came in doing it calling it ignorant. They weren't allowed to have the same experience so many went elsewhere. Most won't admit it but that's what made sites like this what they were when they came out. Now its just us old folks with nothing to talk about bandwise.

We started the SWAC... and we gone finish the SWAC!!!

Thunderbolt and lightning, very, very fright'ning...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:50 pm 
Living Legend

DukeLOrange wrote:
supervillaindw wrote:

No... These new cats check this site out looking for ignorance, find very little and move on.

The regulars have gotten older and posting on here has fallen in the list of priorities.

Yeah, we olde people don't have the time for foolishness, and debating with ignorance is really not something I want to do on a regular basis. It also helps if the Moderators and founders would post here and there.

The poster formerly known as brucewayne100

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:15 pm 
Band Fan

i remember coming in the old chat in high school and all the meac'ers telling me how garbage the swac was and those HORRIFIC uncut videos :lol:. they always said once you get older things change. i remember wanting to go on the cruise but once i made it, the 5th was dead. if it wasn't for the 5th, i never would have heard the greatness of the jukebox and introduced me to the culture.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:07 pm 
Band-a-holic

Where have all the people gone?!?!

Kappa Kappa Psi National Honorary Band Fraternity, Inc.-Spring 2010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:01 pm 
Head Arranger

BW100 wrote:
DukeLOrange wrote:
supervillaindw wrote:

Yeah, we olde people don't have the time for foolishness, and debating with ignorance is really not something I want to do on a regular basis. It also helps if the Moderators and founders would post here and there.

This my #1 reason. Forget his account name, but that guy from FAMU that was always bashing Cookman and took it to ugly levels that included disparaging the 14k and Donovan Wells while the moderators did nothing...that was it for me. I've barely visited this forum since.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:01 am 
Band Fan

"Return Of The Ronin"

This is the guy formerly know as BlaqKnight7 and Outlaw1963, now known as BlaqKnight1963, checking in.I admit that it has been a while since I fell through on here and I think part of the reason behind everybody not being on here is life and the evolution of social media. The same elements we looked here, others are taking to the other sites, but you will see me here from time-to-time giving my $19.63 with 3.57 tax on all things band. To the newbies on here Hello!!!!

Smooth Ashlar Grand Lodge
F.A.A.Y.M.
Union Lodge #618 Atlanta,GA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:30 am 
Director

DukeLOrange wrote:
supervillaindw wrote:

This. I still check in every now and then. But yeah.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:18 pm 
Band-a-holic

:free:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:50 pm 
Band Fan

I failed to see this post initially, writing a whole new thread out, I agree with all of you!!

yet Here's what that thread says (hopefully it'll be deleted later..

Quote:
Kinda odd with all the technology how everything has shifted to the realm of facebook
But for me, sites like This are "Home" to what band culture is. a one stop shop... as compared to the 20 or so band groups I'm in. Although those are fun, these forums are classic.

<--- yeah my post count isn't representative of a consistent poster, because I was mainly on the marchingsport sites. and alough the sites have changed a number of times, the purpose has always been the same. I was here (and there) since 2000..For the most part, I'm glad that many of us are still have regulars posting daily & weekly. I wish the band community would support these sites that were For us and By us (no fubu lol).

Where ya at 5Q? (njmnn)