It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Grad School: Traditional vs Online
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:53 pm 
Band-a-holic

I've always wonderd how employer look at people who have attined their degrees online or in some type of hybrid form.

Do you think that they are less attracted to people who get their MBA's and other advanced degrees on-ine vs people who attend an actually grad school?

I was wondering because I have been tussling with which way I plan to get my masters degree. I'm in orlando and they have a great MBA program at UCF but i'm kinda partial to being able to go at my own pace and have to travel all the way to campus. Does anyone care to shed some light, adivce or general pros and cons on this type of decision?

Post subject: Re: Grad School: Traditional vs Online
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:14 pm 
Assistant Section Leader

in some cases..actually half...they can't tell if you went online or not....

heck, you can get a masters from Boston University online in Music Education.

Director of Bands
Morehouse College
"The House of Funk: Funkiest Show on Earth!"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:17 pm 
Assistant Section Leader

A lot of respectable degree programs have online options, especially for parents and those who don't want to give up their jobs to go back to school full time. I however, would not do online. I like the hands-on, classroom experience.

My mother finished her doctoral degree online, and at the end of the day, guess what? She still has "Dr." in front of her name just like all others.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:29 am 
Band-a-holic

Impact.....My advice to you is to get your MBA the traditional way. Universities have evening programs that you can attend. Degrees from these online programs like Phoenix online are not worth to use as toilet paper. Trust me employers pay strict attention to this. For example right now all of these white lawyers who got their law degrees from these law schools that are not accredited (especially Christian colleges like Liberty) who work for the federal government are getting fired left and right and those were not even online courses. The only reason they got the job in the first place was for the fact that they are republicans or knew some powerful republican congressmen. My point to you is as a black man you need to get your MBA the traditional (right way); you need to be in a classroom. There are certain things that you can only learn in the classroom especially when getting a graduate degree. When you get out in the workforce you are expected to know every single thing that pertains to your profession like certain procedures, programs, and little things pertaining to your particular profession and online courses will not provide you with all the necessary tools you need for your career and especially being considered for promotion; it is like going into battle with no sword or shield (well for modern times no guns). You catch my drift. People will see right through you. It will be the biggest mistake of your life. Trust me my brotha; I have seen it happen many times. We as black people have to be perfect; we have to be ten times more qualified than our white counterparts and we can not take any short cuts. When you interview for a job; employers have ways to find out if your degree was earned online or not. Do not listen to what these misinformed idiots tell you. Getting those online degrees do not mean ish; they are a waste of time, energy, effort and most of all YOUR MONEY!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:41 am 
Band Fan

Fortunate One wrote:
Do not listen to what these misinformed idiots tell you. Getting those online degrees do not mean ish; they are a waste of time, energy, effort and most of all YOUR MONEY!!!!!

Are you speaking of all disciplines or specifically the MBA program?

The reason I ask is because as a pp indicated, many prestigious universities offer online or combination (F2F classes and online) options. They cost the same amount too. That's always another route if you can't always get to the university. You have the same instructors, prestige and diploma as the rest of the students. I'm looking into beginning my Doctorate soon in education and there are top ten schools with online programs and I am definately looking into them. Its definately not a watered down approach as you still use discussion boards, etc. If anything its more rigorous for me (in education) because you MUST read each page of the book in order to become fully aware. Some programs even have the professor online already with a lecture (taped or live).

You have a vast amjority of options, Impact. I challenge you to ask detailed questions and be as informed as possible before making a decision. Congratulations for aspiring to achieve another level.

I DO agree that employers ABSOLUTELY look at where your degree was conferred...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:35 pm 
Assistant Section Leader

Well my grad degree was partially online. It required a LOT of time, even moreso than if I just went to class in person because we had to do extensive INFORMED discussions almost daily, whereas when in class in person you could kinda fake your way through or sit quietly in class.

The person who said companies do not respect online degrees or the U of Phoenix.... look at the schools that companies PAY for their employees to attend. Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Shell, GE, etc all approve employees to go to UoP and reward them when they graduate.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:29 pm 
Assistant Section Leader

thats a good point there

Proud Member of the United States Navy HOOYAH!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:06 pm 
Rank Sargeant

It was really tough doing the Grad thing online. It is extremly demading, but the program itself is demading. I would say do the traditional method. There will be sometimes where you will be doing both, but it you have a choice, stick with what you know buddy. I only did the onnline thing because I am in the military and I am across the world sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:32 pm 

I've just completed my M.A.T. by taking classes in person as well as online. I'd say that it really doesn't make that much of a difference to employers.

However, on a more personal level I actually prefer going to class over online classes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:34 pm 
Band Fan

I actually work for an online school and we find that most of our MBA students are already employed. Most online programs really provide the theoretic practice needed to cultivate the students to perform on the job. I kind of look at it as a form of training because there again, 80% of our students are tuition reimbursed-deferred by employers and a short percentage of that are actually enrolled by managers.

Sometimes, the transition can be hard for students who attended land granted institutions.... it's a total different experience.

I feel the more experience you have, the more opportunity exists.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:01 pm 
Band Fan

I use to work at the University of Phoenix, so I had to answer questions like this all the time

BOTTOM LINE---- Do what is best for you to learn. Some people can not do online......online is not easy, well it really depends on what school you go to and the instructor, but the major thing that matters is...........

Accrediting agencies have determined that online learning is not less learning, actually in many cases, its harder and requires more work--- it has been accepted a an effective way of learning the material---- like I said, it depends on the school. Just make sure THE COLLEGE IS REGIONALLY ACCREDITTED. If the school is regionally ( NOT NATIONALLY, yeah, I know, it sounds backwards) it is legit.

KK PSI Spr. 97 ZH
PHA MASON
RAM MASON
Knight Templar
Shriners
Omega Psi Phi, Fall 2000 Unmerciful PSI K Chapter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:36 am 
Band Fan

Can you get a degree in Undergrad online for Music Education?