It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: FAMU scraps drum major corps, opts for “field commanders."
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:04 pm 
Band-a-holic

http://rattlernation.blogspot.com/2013/08/young-scraps-drum-major-corps-opts-for.html

The Marching 100 drum major corps existed to give students a chance to show that they could exercise responsibility. Many of the band members selected for this honor took the job seriously and went on to make the university proud during their post-graduation years.

One shining example is Adam J. Richardson, Jr., who went from being the 100’s head drum major to an internationally admired bishop in the A.M.E. Church.

The band administration used to trust its drum majors to help report hazing. But the drum major corps from Fall 2011 went rogue and betrayed that trust.

Four of the ex-drum majors from Fall 2011 were charged with hazing. An investigation by the Orange County Sheriff’s Office concluded that two other drum majors from that year, Keon Hollis and Robert Champion, “willingly participated” in hazing.

Sylvester Young, FAMU’s new director of bands, has decided to scrap the drum major corps as part of his efforts to restructure the Marching 100 into a safer organization. The 100 will now have a small, select group of three “field commanders.”

The new 100 won’t have student “section leaders,” either. Each section will have a “principal,” instead.

According to a Tampa Bay Times article by FAMU alumna Tia Mitchell, Young “said campus administrators suggested the new title because now only adult band staff will lead rehearsals and teach students.”

This is the right approach. The old 100 was overrun with unauthorized groups like the so-called “Gestapo” and “Clones.” FAMU still has to do battle against the influence of the former students who were associated with those wannabe gangs.

By stripping away much of the power that the band’s student “section leaders” and “drum majors” once held, FAMU has cleared the way for tighter administrative control over the band’s activities. This will help band members get into the habit of doing what the university staffers who enforce the rules say instead doing what their immature peers might say.

The Marching 100 drum major corps existed to give students a chance to show that they could exercise responsibility. Many of the band members selected for this honor took the job seriously and went on to make the university proud during their post-graduation years.

One shining example is Adam J. Richardson, Jr., who went from being the 100’s head drum major to an internationally admired bishop in the A.M.E. Church.

The band administration used to trust its drum majors to help report hazing. But the drum major corps from Fall 2011 went rogue and betrayed that trust.

Four of the ex-drum majors from Fall 2011 were charged with hazing. An investigation by the Orange County Sheriff’s Office concluded that two other drum majors from that year, Keon Hollis and Robert Champion, “willingly participated” in hazing.

Sylvester Young, FAMU’s new director of bands, has decided to scrap the drum major corps as part of his efforts to restructure the Marching 100 into a safer organization. The 100 will now have a small, select group of three “field commanders.”

The new 100 won’t have student “section leaders,” either. Each section will have a “principal,” instead.

According to a Tampa Bay Times article by FAMU alumna Tia Mitchell, Young “said campus administrators suggested the new title because now only adult band staff will lead rehearsals and teach students.”

This is the right approach. The old 100 was overrun with unauthorized groups like the so-called “Gestapo” and “Clones.” FAMU still has to do battle against the influence of the former students who were associated with those wannabe gangs.

By stripping away much of the power that the band’s student “section leaders” and “drum majors” once held, FAMU has cleared the way for tighter administrative control over the band’s activities. This will help band members get into the habit of doing what the university staffers who enforce the rules say instead doing what their immature peers might say.

Aside from the commentary, I think this is a good idea.

Post subject: Re: FAMU scraps drum major corps, opts for “field commanders."
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:34 am 
Director

:lol: I can only laugh at this...

This is semantics at best. Sections Leaders will now be called "principles"? Okay

... I commened everything that Administration has done but I just dont think this makes much of a difference either way. But I guess if you're going to start freash, you've got to do away with all things old. So I get it from that stand point...

Good deal, I guess...

#GoMagic
#GoGators
#GoRays

Twitter: @Stevo_Supremo
IG: @sholmesjr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:19 am 
Living Legend

Dr. Young brought these student leader references with him from ohio univ. That's what they're called up there too.

Princeton Review wrote:
"We’re pleased to recommend Florida A&M University to users of our site as one of the best schools to earn their undergrad degree."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:26 am 
Director

So basically, they just used mass marketing wordplay to re-brand the same positions, and this is supposed to make a difference.....

.....ok, then. Good thing I'm not either a) marching, or b) associated with that org. I'd be pretty PO at the spin-tactic someone just pulled.

Simple Truth #127:

Yes, I'm in my 30s with NO kids. You're looking at it in a negative light, tho. It's not "I don't have kids", but more as "my birth control methods are batting 1.000".

See...positivity.

Kicking a$$, taking names, and burning the list...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:07 pm 
Head Arranger

Actually it is not just word play. Read closely......before section leaders were allowed to have unsupervised sectional rehearsals anytime they chose. Drum majors had a great deal of unsupervised power too like on buses etc. Their power is limited now and also its a mental thing. When you change names....... perception does too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:19 pm 
Living Legend

The product on the field should be better, as you'll have more hands on interaction by the different directors.

I don't see it as a spin, but as a way to protect ourselves until we are comfortable with the way things are being handled and/or executed. It's not for everyone, and not all bands have enough staff members to do what we're going to be doing.

This actually allows our rehearsals to be more structured and focused on the tasks at hand.

The poster formerly known as brucewayne100

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:23 pm 
Head Arranger

Hurricane Mir wrote:
So basically, they just used mass marketing wordplay to re-brand the same positions, and this is supposed to make a difference.....

.....ok, then. Good thing I'm not either a) marching, or b) associated with that org. I'd be pretty PO at the spin-tactic someone just pulled.

I agree 110% here. "Field Commanders"...."principles"? Okay...so your taking it upon yourself to bring something different to the table. Now...what is the difference in a drum major/field commander and a section leader/principle? Theres a word for that.. "Rebranding" is what those city folk say lol.

Band Tube HD

Subscribe to both BandTube HD channel as well as my YouTube Channel

BandTube HD Channel
BandTube HD NEWST Channel
|-_-|Gamer

Yeah I get it in!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:30 pm 
Assistant Director

Principal is an orchestral term. The high level functionality is the same as the section leader nomenclature, with some differences, given the ensemble that the title principal is being applied to.

University of Central Florida
Orlando Magic: Blue and White Ignite!
"The Man has programmed my condition. Even my conditioning has been conditioned..." - "Brown Skin Lady" from Talib Kweli and Mos Def's Black Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:29 pm 
Drum Major

Hurricane Mir wrote:

All of this!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:35 pm 
Living Legend

DUB305 wrote:
Now...what is the difference in a drum major/field commander and a section leader/principle?

The difference was stated in the article.

<0000>

Princeton Review wrote:
"We’re pleased to recommend Florida A&M University to users of our site as one of the best schools to earn their undergrad degree."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:11 pm 
Arranger

does the change to "field commanders" mean no more show boating and get them dang tubas on and off the field as expeditiously as possible? :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:41 pm 
Head Arranger

Diligent wrote:
Actually it is not just word play. Read closely......before section leaders were allowed to have unsupervised sectional rehearsals anytime they chose. Drum majors had a great deal of unsupervised power too like on buses etc. Their power is limited now and also its a mental thing. When you change names....... perception does too.

If you could only post like this every time.

This post makes a lot of sense.

The only band in the world that's guaranteed to show up and show out on any band, any day, any time, anywhere.
S.Ka.R.F.Ace - Seeing Kappa at Rare Form, Ace, Fall 05

Howard University, M.A. 2010

Twitter: @JimmytotheJay
Instagram: @jimmytotheJay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:54 pm 
Arranger

WildcatJay wrote:
Diligent wrote:

If you could only post like this every time.

This post makes a lot of sense.

I'm sending this exchange to congress. there's hope for the world! yes we can! viva nepal!

(ol school eddie murphy fans might get the viva nepal! :lol: )

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:46 pm 
Head Arranger

Wildcatjay.......leave me alone :lol: ........wait til band season starts.....lol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:44 pm 
Band-a-holic

DUB305 wrote:
Hurricane Mir wrote:

I agree 110% here. "Field Commanders"...."principles"? Okay...so your taking it upon yourself to bring something different to the table. Now...what is the difference in a drum major/field commander and a section leader/principle? Theres a word for that.. "Rebranding" is what those city folk say lol.

Okay, so, I've been pretty objective in my views and comments on the band since this went down, even as a former member.

But ya'll have pretty much drifted into hater territory with these comments.

How is reforming the system under which the band operated, including the names and duties of the student leaders, a "spin-tactic?"

I think both of you are deflecting because you know your band programs will be implementing the same changes in a few years, once again proving that the "100" sets the standard.

:roll:

In other news, Dr. Young will announce the band's first performance on Friday. I'm sure they'll be a thread for those truly interested in seeing the results of the changes put in place.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:25 pm 
Director

Quote:

So they are just gonna throw 2011 DM's under the bus like they started the whole ordeal lol? smh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:13 am 
Director

Golden Horn wrote:
Quote:

So they are just gonna throw 2011 DM's under the bus like they started the whole ordeal lol? smh

Hence one of the reasons I laughed when I initially read this.

The commentary... :thumbsdown:

#GoMagic
#GoGators
#GoRays

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:59 am 
Band-a-holic

Golden Horn wrote:
Quote:

They are pointing out that the DMs were hazing and allowing themselves to be hazed. It has been proven so they pointed it out. Did the DMs from 2010 and back do the same? Possibly but as there is no solid proof they can not slander those former DMs.

B Phi B Fall 2k5 #4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:40 am 
Living Legend

skeptic wrote:
DUB305 wrote:
Hurricane Mir wrote:

Okay, so, I've been pretty objective in my views and comments on the band since this went down, even as a former member.

How is reforming the system under which the band operated, including the names and duties of the student leaders, a "spin-tactic?"

I think both of you are deflecting because you know your band programs will be implementing the same changes in a few years, once again proving that the "100" sets the standard.

In other news, Dr. Young will announce the band's first performance on Friday. I'm sure they'll be a thread for those truly interested in seeing the results of the changes put in place.

ALL OF THIS.

Princeton Review wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:50 am 
Living Legend

HBCU bands will be spending some money in the near future on staff increases, not to keep up with the "100," but to ensure that they aren't "next."

As I've said before, and as skeptic just pointed out, people are watching what FAMU is doing, and will be following suit in some form or fashion. They want to see HOW this is going to work for us, then tailor it to fit their program, their culture.

You may not like the "100," but you don't want to lose a year LIKE the "100."

The poster formerly known as brucewayne100

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:56 am 
Living Legend

blankman2005 wrote:
Golden Horn wrote:
Quote:

They are pointing out that the DMs were hazing and allowing themselves to be hazed. It has been proven so they pointed it out. Did the DMs from 2010 and back do the same? Possibly but as there is no solid proof they can not slander those former DMs.

AND THIS TOO.

Princeton Review wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:28 am 
Assistant Section Leader

Ohio Univ's definition of a Field Commander:

The Field Commander is the highest student-held position in the Marching 110. The Field Commander's basic responsibility is the fundamental marching technique of the band. Other duties include the heightening of moral, discipline, and esprit d' corps of the Marching 110.

To me, pretty much same duties(probably limited), but a different name.

Alpha Omega Lodge #357 P.H.A.
John J Story Consistory #111 A.A.S.R.
Kazah Temple #149 A.E.A.O.N.M.S.
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc
Groove Tyme Ent. DJ Arizona Red
"LOUD PIPES SAVES LIVES"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:45 am 
Band Fan

BW100 wrote:
The product on the field should be better, as you'll have more hands on interaction by the different directors.

I don't see it as a spin, but as a way to protect ourselves until we are comfortable with the way things are being handled and/or executed. It's not for everyone, and not all bands have enough staff members to do what we're going to be doing.

This actually allows our rehearsals to be more structured and focused on the tasks at hand.

BW100, this is ONLY a question for you....... Why if I may ask didn't or haven't YOU sought to become a more intricate part of the Infrastructure (Asst. Director, Liason, or etc.) of the "100", seeing as those you have been ONE of MANY former members who has the working knowledge of the "100" as a Band member, DM, and Alumni President.

Your knowledge of the "100" and history of the band would be of great assistance to some young person who would attend FAM?????

MBC Marching Wolverines
Purple Haze DM - 90'
PHI MU ALPHA Sinfonia
Kappa Beta - Spring 94' #3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:57 am 
Director

skeptic wrote:

:lol: @ "set the standard"... If you say so.

This is far from setting a standard. What this is, is the equivalent of us neighbors (other programs) watching a fellow neighbor (FAMU) come home from jail with a home arrest ankle bracelet on, a probation officer, and a curfew. Nobody sees that as any "standard", but if that makes you feel better, hey, that's cool too.

FAMU will proably be more than half their size next year, their drum maj...'err "field generals" have been down sized to 3, setion lea....err "Principles" roles will be minimized, policy and procedures have been tightened, travel has been restricted.... Hardly any reason for anyone to be hating...

#GoMagic
#GoGators
#GoRays

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:11 am 
Living Legend

Vibes1911 wrote:
Ohio Univ's definition of a Field Commander:

The Field Commander is the highest student-held position in the Marching 110. The Field Commander's basic responsibility is the fundamental marching technique of the band. Other duties include the heightening of moral, discipline, and esprit d' corps of the Marching 110.

To me, pretty much same duties(probably limited), but a different name.

But the spin tactic is REAL my brutha.

Princeton Review wrote: