It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Drum Major Uniforms
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:14 pm 
Drum Major

I was having a conversation with my HS band director via the facebook im thingy and we got onto the discussion of drummajor uniforms...

the first part was the debate on what color the drummajor should wear (i said i personally didn't care, long as it's different from the rest of the band- he said he thinks drummajors should wear all white, with the schools colors as accent colors)

we also talked about "female" drummajor unis- how some bands used to (and maybe some still do....but i haven't seen any) put their female drummajors into those super long skirts or in hot pants instead of regular pants (we both agreed that pants were easier to just put on and move in- but I distinctly remember him tryna put my arse into those shorts or that skirt that were collecting dust in our uniform room lol)

figured i'd get the 5Q's thoughts on this...all white or you don't care? have you seen any bands that still use "female" drummajor unis?

Proud citizen of STEELER NATION!

Howard University
George Mason

1908 1946 1952

IG: blair_ponceau

Post subject: Re: Drum Major Uniforms
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:44 am 
Head Drum Major

Well, for the most part, as long as it's a different color so the band members can spot the dm and who to watch for. Most bands choose white because it is an easy color to spot. Just like white gloves for directing, and white spats and the white leg stripe to combat with the green field to accent the high knee lift.

Some other things that most would consider important is cape or no cape and if cape, what color? Spats, riding boots, etc. Big hat, cowboy hat, etc. It's all a matter of preference and what kind of manuvers the drum major will execute. Will they need more room or keep it pretty much in the pocket?

As for the female uniform, if you really wanna show off that the individual is a female, then the uniform difference would be key there. It's kinda difficult though because if u go with the skirt, u usually have to go with the kinda platform type boots which u can still get 90's on, but then there's the whole shock absorbance issue. Same thing with those shorts and boots. As for hot pants, I'm not exactly sure what foot wear you'd wear with those; maybe dinkles and no spats but I'm totally far displaced when it comes to female fashion. I think that as long as the female DM uniform is in good taste and still makes the young lady look like a young lady, I'm sure most will approve.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:12 am 
Section Leader

I think that drum majors should wear the traditional drum major uniforms and have the tall Busbys and should always have a tall plume in it. Capes can be optional as well as boots with the pants tucked in.

I think that the female drum majors should dress just like male drum majors. The women in the band dress the same as the men. So, why should a woman drum major dress different?

Also, drum majors should always have a signal baton.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:25 pm 
Band-a-holic

Perhaps a little off topic, but is there a story behind Southern's DM?
Why there has only been one? Why he's wearing Alcorn colors? Curiosity speaking, here.

And I agree with themap, white with the accents for visibility's sake

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:12 am 
Band-a-holic

BlueTrane wrote:
Why there has only been one? Why he's wearing Alcorn colors? Curiosity speaking, here.

What did he have on in Alcorn's colours?

14k-PV
1919/1898

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:49 am 
Director

Kinda interesting, TnSU's DMs current uniforms happen to be all white and trimmed in blue/blue accents.

I don't believe in the 'all white' thing, but as long as they are different from the rest of the band. I personally would not have a problem either way with the knee-high skirt or pants for women. I think 'hot pants' more reminds me of 60s-70s majorettes. I'd stay away from that.
Attachment:
TnSUMajSmall.jpg
TnSUMajSmall.jpg [ 86.5 KiB | Viewed 2762 times ]

I think it depends on if you want your female DM to stick out. I personally would not, so she would be in pants. Like someone else mentioned, the other women are in pants, why not the female DM?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:00 am 
Head Drum Major

Sidelinesbest wrote:
I think that drum majors should wear the traditional drum major uniforms and have the tall Busbys and should always have a tall plume in it. Capes can be optional as well as boots with the pants tucked in.

I think that the female drum majors should dress just like male drum majors. The women in the band dress the same as the men. So, why should a woman drum major dress different?

Also, drum majors should always have a signal baton.

You have to take in consideration the style of the band and what they are trying to portray.

I know at NSU, I'd bout flip out and kill everybody if Capn Soul or Mr. Spartan wore a busby or a plume.

Seeing alot of different different bands with different styles, I leave alot of room for creativity.

I was actually surprised when I saw Michigan State's DM's with small twirling batons. :confused: But when I saw what they did with them :hall:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:34 pm 
Drum Major

BlueTrane wrote:

You must be confusing the royal blue in the SU drum major uniform for purple.... He doesn't wear alcorn's colors. :handicap:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:19 pm 
Head Arranger

BlueTrane wrote:

Why he's wearing Alcorn colors? Curiosity speaking, here.

Wow. First time Ive heard that one.

B.O.H.I.C.A., buddy
-FGOTF (DT)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:15 am 
Band Fan

Although the busbys and plumes are fine with DMs as a rule, I like to see some variation among the different marching organizations.

I remember Hampton's DMs in the mid 1980's (when they were still in the CIAA) wearing Aussie hats with the long plumes (looking like the 3 Musketeers). They wore capes and white gauntlets and had the high black boots, I think. I personally thought they had a very cool look. They and Norfolk stood out from the rest of the CIAA DMs since all the rest wore the traditional busbys.

It seems like today's DMs (with the exception of Norfolk and a couple of others) all look pretty much the same, from the uniform, to the marching style, to the style of baton used (the American-style mace as opposed to the military signal baton used more in the 80's). I used the signal baton then as a DM because it was easier to perform spins and tosses.

A lot of today's DMs look as if they were influenced by one or two specific schools. Of course, there's nothing wrong with that at all; it's just my observation... :wink:

"Cadillac" #5 Spring 1988
Kappa Kappa Psi National Honorary Band Fraternity, Inc.
Theta Tau Chapter
Life Member #3922

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:33 am 
Director

Some high school bands get by with just adding more stuff to the current uniforms and wearing a different hat.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:07 pm 
Band Fan

BlueTrane wrote:

You should probably try to see The Jukebox in person or adjust the color on your set. That blue and gold looks nothing like that purple of Alcorn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:07 pm 

I guess when you come from a high-school that had red, black and green as their school colors...that a white drum major uniform was an obvious choice to showcase the orignal colors against the background... As the person you either hated-it or liked-it....because when it was brand spanking new..."you couldn't sit in the uniform...without someone yelling "don't get it dirty." LOL!!! Lord knows...what school color other than white was used....when the average football field was grass and dirt....Even with that off-white variation it still brought heartache with the first grass stain on the knee.

As for the female drum-major wearing the female-looking type uniform I don't like it...because there is not a female looking type of marching band uniform... You know you are not dressing the female percussion members different from the male percussion members. The goal is a uniform appearance instead of the appearance distinquishing who's a girl or boy in a uniform.

I have a hypothetical visual...what if FAMU went with an all-female DM line...and they wanted to put them in a "booty-short" version of the typical all-white uniform...with the long white-boots with the high-gloss tights. Shudder the thought...ain't never gonna happen, cuz we get mad when the DM's spats are not displayed right...and you know it!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:44 pm 
Section Leader

themap wrote:
You have to take in consideration the style of the band and what they are trying to portray.

I know at NSU, I'd bout flip out and kill everybody if Capn Soul or Mr. Spartan wore a busby or a plume.

Seeing alot of different different bands with different styles, I leave alot of room for creativity.

I was actually surprised when I saw Michigan State's DM's with small twirling batons. :confused: But when I saw what they did with them :hall:

Has Norfolk State ever not worn the helmet? What did their drum majors look like in the 1960s and very early 1970s?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:12 pm 
Section Leader

Hampton has some of the most butt ugly uniforms for drum majors and the busby they use looks a hot mess.

Their uniforms look as if they were designed for women drum majors only.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:52 pm 
Band-a-holic

Sidelinesbest wrote:
Hampton has some of the most butt ugly uniforms for drum majors and the busby they use looks a hot mess.

Their uniforms look as if they were designed for women drum majors only.

I am not a fan of thier busby's either but that pic is wrong.......lol

As fo the color thing must bands just want to DM to stand out so the easiest way is to get them white unis........Females should ware the same uni they do the same job and like some one said females in the band do not wear anything different from men.